TL 's Reviews > Piecing Me Together

Piecing Me Together by Renée Watson

Recommended to TL by: Emily May

Another day of not feeling good so this will be short review.

A beautiful, thoughtful, moving novel that makes you think. It had a quieter vibe than The Hate U Give but just as important and powerful.

We need more books like this in the world and add them to every library in schools/towns that we can.

Would highly recommend :)
-----
Quotes: (in no particular order)

And this makes me wonder if a black girl’s life is only about being stitched together and coming undone, being stitched together and coming undone.
I wonder if there’s ever a way for a girl like me to feel whole.

“I know something happens between the time our mothers and fathers and teachers and mentors send us out into the world telling us, "The world is yours," and "You are beautiful," and "You can be anything," and the time we return to them.

Sometimes I just want to be comfortable in this skin, this body. Want to cock my head back and laugh loud and free, all my teeth showing, and not be told I’m too rowdy, too ghetto.

"Something happens when people tell me I have a pretty face, ignoring me from the neck down. When I watch the news and see unarmed black men and women shot dead over and over, it's kind of hard to believe this world is mine."

"Sometimes it feels like I leave home a whole person, sent off with kisses from Mom, who is hanging her every hope on my future. By the time I get home I feel like my soul has been shattered into a million pieces.

Mom's love repairs me.”

"I have never thought about my deserving the good things that have happened in my life. Maybe because I know so many people who work hard but still don't get the things they deserve, sometimes not even the things they need."

----

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Piecing Me Together.

April 22, 2017 – Shelved
April 22, 2017 –
page 37
13.36% "The thing is, I don't think I'm shy. I just don't always know what to say or how to say it. I am like Mom in so many ways but not when it comes to things like this. She is full of words and bites her tongue for no one. I wish I could be that way."
April 22, 2017 –
page 46
16.61% "I'm regretting saying yes to this mentorship program. So far my mentor has stood me up because of some drama with her boyfriend and shown up in the middle of the night with gifts like that's supposed to make it all better. All of this has me wondering, what have I gotten myself into?Has me wondering, what is this woman really going to teach me?"
April 23, 2017 – Started Reading
page 57
20.58% "I have never thought about my deserving the good things that have happened in my life. Maybe because I know so many people who work hard but still don't get the things they deserve, sometimes not even the things they need.
(57-58)"
page 104
page 137
49.46% "I don't know what's worse. Being mistreated because of the color of your skin, your size, or having to prove that it really happened. "
page 155
55.96% "I ride through the transition blocks, and then I'm back on my side of town. Where the river is polluted. I am thinking about the fish and the river. The giving and learning. I am wondering how choices are made about who gets what and how much they get. Wondering who owns the river and the line, and the hook, and the worm. "
April 24, 2017 –
page 195
April 24, 2017 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)

Emer (A Little Haze) Aw feel better sweetie xox

TL Emer wrote: "Aw feel better sweetie xox"

Thanks hun... migraines sometimes happen for me when there's a rapid weather change... it got to when I was at work I could taste the metal in my fillings... not as bad today so it seems it is just a "low" instead of mild one (my dad's is far worse)\

How are you doing?

message 3: by Colleen (new) - added it

Colleen Scidmore Hope you're feeling better!

TL Colleen wrote: "Hope you're feeling better!
This book is in my TBR pile too! I really want to read this and The Hate U Give."

Much better, thanks:)
Hope you enjoy them!

message 5: by Elyse (new)

Elyse Walters Thank you TL 🥰. You might not have felt well when you wrote this - but it was sure good! 💕