Laura's Reviews > The Bad Boy Bargain

The Bad Boy Bargain by Kendra C. Highley

Apr 28, 2017

3.5 Stars

Kyle Sawyer could be the sweetest bad boy on record! This boy and book will steal your heart.

Faith, who was just dumped by her cheating boyfriend, is out for revenge! She’s searching for a way to get back at her ex and stop the horrible rumors and whispers about her. Her solution and shirtless, bad boy hero drops right into her lap—well her backyard actually. Kyle is hired to landscape Faith’s backyard, but she has another job in mind for him. *eyebrow waggle* The two forge a path of revenge involving pretend hookups, kissing, and gossip. Faith knows that “dating” the school’s bad boy with a major ladies’ man rep will end the frigid talk about her. What she doesn’t know is that Kyle isn’t as “bad” as the rumors say. Will the truth ever come out? Can Faith and Kyle stand up to the pressure and rumors and just be themselves?

I loved Kyle and Faith. Both characters are so well drawn and alive. Their passions are rare to find in young adult fiction too—gardening and ballet. The way both Kyle and Faith could get lost in their art was inspiring and just beautiful to see. Kyle’s love of growing things and spring time shines in his work ethic, words, and smile. When he enters the nursery and takes a deep breath, inhaling the deep, earthy scents—I knew the boy was for real. :) He charmed me! Faith’s passion for dance and singing comes through in her dedication and nerves about her future and the upcoming school musical. I could just see their goodness in everything they did. Like Kyle doing a little musical homework with his Grandpa…Haha…or creating the BEST first date ever. *sigh* So sweet! But these two have a few truths and obstacles to overcome if they want a real connection between them. Maybe with a little courage and support, Faith and Kyle can face the truth and their growing feelings for each other.

Ms. Highley weaves in a full cast of characters into the fun too. Violet, Faith’s best friend and Kyle’s Grandpa are standouts. A couple of my favorite scenes involved Kyle and his Grandpa actually—those two showed huge heart in every scene they shared. Advice, beer, and fast cars laced with love and support. I loved it! All the characters thumped to life with heart except for….Cade. Sadly I didn’t feel the history or friendship between Kyle and Cade at all. So Cade’s help and advice didn’t sit well with me. I mean I know Faith and Kyle are trying to trick everyone into thinking they’re having sex to end rumors of Faith being an unattainable tease, but somehow Cade added a layer of sliminess to the plot. But overall the cast shined bright.

A cute read filled with sweetness, muscles, and musicals! A read that urges readers to be themselves.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Bad Boy Bargain.

April 21, 2017 – Started Reading
April 21, 2017 – Shelved
April 21, 2017 –
50.0% "Look what I found! A bad boy gem! I’m loving Faith and Kyle. :)"
April 24, 2017 –
100.0% "Cute read! I love a big-hearted "bad boy". :)"
April 26, 2017 – Finished Reading

message 1: by Joy (new)

Joy Great review Laura--enjoy your weekend!!

Laura Joy wrote: "Great review Laura--enjoy your weekend!!"

Hi Joy! Thanks. This sweet, little read was just what I needed. I love clicking around on amazon--you never know what you'll find. :) Hope all is well with you. Have a good week. I could use another weekend right now!!!