Petrik's Reviews > Kings of the Wyld

Kings of the Wyld by Nicholas Eames

bookshelves: owned-physical-books, favorites
Recommended to Petrik by: Melanie
Recommended for: Every fantasy fans

Every avid fantasy reader, pay attention and let me do you a favor. Make sure you read this book no matter what. As of now, I’m calling Kings of the Wyld one of the best fantasy debuts of all time.

Imagine this: legendary rock bands that have disbanded, such as The Beatles, Led Zeppelin or Nirvana, come back for one more tour. Now replace the rock bands and concerts with mercenary bands and killing monsters. I won’t go into any details on the music allusions, but it’s ubiquitous throughout the whole book and you should experience it yourself; but in my opinion, they're a Joy To the World of fantasy.

Clay Cooper and his Band, Saga (The Kings of the Wyld) were once the greatest of the greatest mercenary Bands, but now the members have separated and grown old, fat, drunk or a combination of the three. Until one day, one of Clay’s band mates, Gabriel, came asking for help with an incredibly dangerous quest that will require the Band getting back together for one more tour across the Heartwyld, a gigantic forest filled with a plethora of monsters, beasts, and many other deadly sentient beings.

KotW is a rollicking adventure that managed to raise within me a variety of emotions ranging from happiness to poignancy. It’s a rarity to read a novel that makes me grin like a fool throughout the whole book while also making me tense within those same pages. You should know though that despite the book being very humorous with its pun and dark humor, it shouldn’t be viewed as a complete comedy since Nick knows how to shifts your emotions swiftly. One moment you’re smiling or laughing, but before you realize it, you’ll be holding your breath or on the brink of tears. It’s safe to say that I’m genuinely pleased by the storyline itself since Nicholas (or Nick) has crafted a splendid hybrid between epic fantasy and Grimdark, resulting in a superlative blend of marvelous action sequences, hilarious humor, and heartfelt scenes.

How did he achieve this marvelous result? With an impressive combination of lovable characters, gripping actions, intricate world-building and well-polished prose.

Every character in the book, whether it’s the five members of Saga or the side characters, managed to make me really care about their fate and circumstances, and did all within the span of a single book. They are unique, lovable, believable, and compelling to read. The witty banter between these characters, their puns and random behaviors never failed to entertain me. However, when it comes down to it, what made me really attached to Saga was their brotherhood, friendship, loyalty and familial love. Like a vacation or road trip you take with your best friends who will always wait for you, every time I took a break from reading it, I found myself compelled to pick it back up again to continue my tour with the Band.

“As individuals they were each of them fallible, discordant as notes without harmony. But as a band they were something more, something perfect in its own intangible way”

If I have to choose one favorite (IF, okay?), it will have to be the main character, Clay Cooper. Reluctant heroes have always been one of my favorite protagonist tropes in any kind of story. Clay Cooper falls to this category perfectly and it’s why he’s my favorite character of the book; heck, he’s even included into my personal list of my favorite book protagonists. I love how these type of characters, despite their reluctance and circumstances, are willing to do what’s right, either out of friendship or conviction.

Picture: Clay Cooper Charges the Rasks by Felix Ortiz

Have I mentioned that there are a lot of great action sequences in the book? Every action scene is intriguing, dynamic and engaging. The buildup to the climax, in particular, is fantastic to say the least. However, this build-up leads me to believe that the climax could have been better if it had received more pages. Don’t get me wrong, it’s still amazing, but it definitely could have been even better with more exposition because the buildup to and the setting of the climax was so gripping, well written, and unexpectedly epic.

Picture: Lastleaf and Ashatan by Felix Ortiz

If you’ve been following the frequency of my reviews and updates, you should know by now that gaming is one of my biggest passions. Imagine my happiness upon finding out that there’s actually a myriad of video game elements infused into the world-building. Music allusions aside, I envisioned the world that Nick created as a stunning mix of epic fantasy and Role Playing Games. Skyships, legendary swords, lots and lots of beasts and mythological creatures such as Chimera, Wyverns, Dragons, Golems, and many more elements that can be found in mythologies and RPG are all here. There’s even a character named Firaga, which is the name of the highest fire magic tier in the beloved Final Fantasy series. As a great bonus, Nick even implements the popular gaming reference “the cake is a lie” from Portal into the book perfectly and my nerdy self was completely delighted by all these features. I could go on for so much longer about the magnificent world building intricacy in its lore, maps, and settings, but I’ll stop it here.

The prose itself contains no resemblance to a debut work; it’s extremely well written and polished. To sum up Nick’s prose properly, it’s a mixture between Joe Abercrombie (one of my favorite authors), Scott Lynch, and Patrick Rothfuss. Abercrombie’s dark humor and dramatic vivid scenes, combined with Lynch’s crude dialogues and banters, and add a bit of Rothfuss’s simple and genuine prose; there is nothing left to say other than this is a work of brilliance.

The talk about life and death, in particular, is probably where Nick’s prose really shines (excluding the hilarious dark humor, of course) for me, here’s one of my favorite quotes from the book on the topic:

“Life was funny, and fickle, and often cruel. Sometimes the unworthy went on living, while those who deserved better was lost.

Or not lost, he considered, since they lingered on in the hearts of those who loved them, who love them still, their memory nurtured like a sprig of green in an otherwise desolate soul. Which was, he supposed, a kind of immortality, after all.”

There are tons of other gems like this to be encountered in the book. It’s simply incredible how the prose managed to always pull me back into the story swiftly.

For those of you who usually prefer to wait for the next book in the series to come out first before starting, you certainly can do so but if that’s truly your only reason, I’m saying that you’re postponing reading one of the most excellent debuts of all time for the wrong reason. Trust me, I’m a binge reader and most of the time I follow the same behavior. Luckily, this book can absolutely be considered as a standalone for the story itself has concluded wonderfully within this installment. Think of The Band as a standalone trilogy. Nick himself has stated that although there’s something of an arc throughout the trilogy, each installment will be a standalone story starring a different Band. This means a new story with new casts of characters and maybe a new locale (there's still so much left to explore in this world), there’s no reason why you should wait for the next book to come out first before reading this stunning debut.

Similar to one of the main themes of the book where the new generation of mercenary Bands tried to outshine the old legendary Bands in their pursuit of glory, in my opinion, it will be tough for Nick to top his debut with its sequel, Bloody Rose . Let’s just say I can’t wait for him to prove me wrong.

Kings of the Wyld is a new addition to my ‘favorite debuts I've ever read in my life’ list, along with The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss, The Lies of Locke Lamora by Scott Lynch and Malice by John Gwynne. It was a marvelous, fun and full-hearted wyld (see what I did there?) experience. The fantasy genre has got a new voice, and it’s singing gloriously. I’m brave enough to claim that just from his debut, Nicholas Eames is the next name to enter the big leagues in the fantasy genre.

Recommended? Hell fucking yes, to every fantasy fan, you should read this ASAP. In terms of debut or the first book of a series, it’s one of the best out there. Also, you have a very talented son, Terry!

Side note: The physical form of this book is damn gorgeous. Richard Anderson did an amazing job with the book cover, here’s the proof. Trust me, it looks even better in real life.

You can order the book from: Book Depository (Free shipping)

You can find this and the rest of my reviews at Novel Notions

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Kings of the Wyld.

Quotes Petrik Liked

Nicholas Eames
“Among them is a renegade king, he who sired five royal heirs without ever unzipping his pants. A man to whom time has imparted great wisdom and an even greater waistline, whose thoughtless courage is rivalled only by his unquenchable thirst.

At his shoulder walks a sorcerer, a cosmic conversationalist. Enemy of the incurable rot, absent chairman of combustive sciences at the university in Oddsford, and the only living soul above the age of eight to believe in owlbears.

Look here at a warrior born, a scion of power and poverty whose purpose is manifold: to shatter shackles, to murder monarchs, and to demonstrate that even the forces of good must sometimes enlist the service of big, bad motherfuckers. His is an ancient soul destined to die young.

And now comes the quiet one, the gentle giant, he who fights his battles with a shield. Stout as the tree that counts its age in aeons, constant as the star that marks true north and shines most brightly on the darkest nights.

A step ahead of these four: our hero. He is the candle burnt down to the stump, the cutting blade grown dull with overuse. But see now the spark in his stride. Behold the glint of steel in his gaze. Who dares to stand between a man such as this and that which he holds dear? He will kill, if he must, to protect it. He will die, if that is what it takes.

“Go get the boss,” says one guardsman to another. “This bunch looks like trouble.”

And they do. They do look like trouble, at least until the wizard trips on the hem of his robe. He stumbles, cursing, and fouls the steps of the others as he falls face-first onto the mud-slick hillside.”

Nicholas Eames
“But what does a mirror know? What can it show us of ourselves? Oh, it might reveal a few scars, and perhaps a glimpse—there, in the eyes—of our true nature. The spirit beneath the skin. Yet the deepest scars are often hidden, and though a mirror might reveal our weakness, it reflects only a fraction of our strength.”

Nicholas Eames
“A tiger, however fearsome, could be hunted into a corner. It fought alone, so it died alone. But to hunt a wolf was to constantly look over your shoulder, wondering if others were behind you in the dark. “Lost?”

Nicholas Eames
“And so it goes, thought Clay. Life was funny, and fickle, and often cruel. Sometimes the unworthy went on living, while those who deserved better was lost.

April 21, 2017 – Shelved
May 10, 2017 – Started Reading
May 12, 2017 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-50 of 181 (181 new)

Lema Everyone suddenly started talking about this book and signing its praises! can't wait to hear what you think about it :D

message 2: by Petrik (last edited May 10, 2017 06:21AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Petrik Lema wrote: "Everyone suddenly started talking about this book and signing its praises! can't wait to hear what you think about it :D"

I know right? Not counting from other social medias, it appears three times already in my GR recommendation sections. I'll definitely let you know what I think about it my friend! :D

message 3: by Cecilia (new) - added it

Cecilia I just bought this! I'm so excited to read it, it sounds like so much fun! I'm interested to see what you think of it. Hope it's as good as promised!

Andrew It was a great read, you'll definitely enjoy it!

message 5: by Haïfa (last edited May 10, 2017 07:26AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Haïfa Enjoy my dear friend !! ^^
Recommended by John Gwynne, no less !

Petrik Cecilia wrote: "I just bought this! I'm so excited to read it, it sounds like so much fun! I'm interested to see what you think of it. Hope it's as good as promised!"

oh that's awesome Cecilia! From what I read so far it's really great, I hope it continue to do so. I'll let you know once I finished it! :)

Petrik A. wrote: "It was a great read, you'll definitely enjoy it!"

Thanks A, I hope so too! :)

Petrik Haïfoun wrote: "Enjoy my dear friend !! ^^
Recommended by John Gwynne, no less !"

Thank you my dear! I know right? Sebastian De Castell recommended it too! :D

message 9: by Eugenio (new) - added it

Eugenio Cool cover for sure!! Enjoy!

Petrik Eugenio wrote: "Cool cover for sure!! Enjoy!"

Thanks Eugenio, I will! :)

message 11: by Johanna (new) - added it

Johanna H. I ordered it just yesterday Petrik :) The cover is epic and I just had to! Hope the story lives up to it but it sounds really promising

Samir I'm reading this after Memories of Ice, enjoy!

Petrik Johanna wrote: "I ordered it just yesterday Petrik :) The cover is epic and I just had to! Hope the story lives up to it but it sounds really promising"

that's great to hear Johanna! the cover is epic indeed, I love what I read so far, I'll let you know more once I'm done with it, probably by Friday or Saturday! :)

Petrik Samir wrote: "I'm reading this after Memories of Ice, enjoy!"

Thanks man, enjoy Memories of Ice too! :D

Hemant Kumar I'm reading this currently, very good so far!

Twerking To Beethoven Yay! Go you!

message 17: by Melika (new)

Melika Hick Ooo, looks like a good one! And the cover is, indeed, glorious! *sings "ahhhh!" in praise of it* ;P

James Tivendale It is brilliant matey. I hope you enjoy and looking forward to your views. x

edge of bubble I think I'll be drugged and browbeaten into doing a buddy read for this one soon. I'd have accepted being bribed with a paperback copy if I had seen the amazing cover of it!

Petrik Hemant wrote: "I'm reading this currently, very good so far!"

Just finished this Hermant, it was amazing!

Petrik Twerking wrote: "Yay! Go you!"

Yay go me!! :D

Petrik Melika wrote: "Ooo, looks like a good one! And the cover is, indeed, glorious! *sings "ahhhh!" in praise of it* ;P"

It is indeed my friend! both the book and the cover! :D

Petrik James wrote: "It is brilliant matey. I hope you enjoy and looking forward to your views. x"

Well my full review is up mate and yes, it is brilliant :)

Petrik edge of bubble wrote: "I think I'll be drugged and browbeaten into doing a buddy read for this one soon. I'd have accepted being bribed with a paperback copy if I had seen the amazing cover of it!"

I hope that buddy read happened to you cause this is so good edge!! :)

message 25: by Liam (new) - rated it 3 stars

Liam Degnan I've had this on my to-read list for quite awhile - gonna try to get to it this month, I think!

message 26: by Mayim (new) - added it

Mayim de Vries Lovely, on my TBR already and your review made me really curious about the book.

Petrik Liam wrote: "I've had this on my to-read list for quite awhile - gonna try to get to it this month, I think!"

Yes Liam! I hope you'll get to it soon! Can't wait to see what you think about it!

Petrik Mayim wrote: "Lovely, on my TBR already and your review made me really curious about the book."

Awesome Mayim, I think you're going to enjoy this one! :)

message 29: by Ken (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ken Mandap Well, you sold it to me real quick. Fantastic review, Petrik!

Keerthana That life and death quote made me feel warm and gave me chills at the same time. I loved your review. Can't wait to read this!!!(After my wretched exams sadly😭😕)

message 31: by TS (new) - rated it 5 stars

TS Chan Hmmm is this the first time you rounded up a 4.5 stars??

message 32: by Azrael (new) - added it

Azrael James I am definitely going to read this soon. Thanks Petrik!

Petrik Kenneth wrote: "Well, you sold it to me real quick. Fantastic review, Petrik!"

Thanks Kenneth! glad my review could spark your interest in it! :)

Petrik Keerthana wrote: "That life and death quote made me feel warm and gave me chills at the same time. I loved your review. Can't wait to read this!!!(After my wretched exams sadly😭😕)"

I know right!? I really love that quote! Thanks for your kind words and good luck with your exam! :)

Petrik TS wrote: "Hmmm is this the first time you rounded up a 4.5 stars??
Amazing review!! If you haven't already convinced me earlier, this review would've done it. ;)"

Come to think of it... all my favorite debut are rounded up to 5 stars! The one I mentioned in my review, I just realized it! XD

Anyway, thanks my friend!! I sincerely hope you love it as much as I do!

Petrik Azrael wrote: "I am definitely going to read this soon. Thanks Petrik!"

You're welcome Azrael! enjoy! :)

message 37: by TS (new) - rated it 5 stars

TS Chan Petrik wrote: "TS wrote: "Hmmm is this the first time you rounded up a 4.5 stars??

Come to think of it... all my f..."

Oh yaaa now that you mentioned it. I just thought they got outright 5 stars for some reason.
Man just not enough time to read all the books I want to read.

Ginger Great review Petrik! Adding another one, damn you. ;)

Petrik TS wrote: "Petrik wrote: "TS wrote: "Hmmm is this the first time you rounded up a 4.5 stars??

Come to think of..."

Well said my friend. So many books to read, so little time :')

Petrik Ginger wrote: "Great review Petrik! Adding another one, damn you. ;)"

haha don't be mad at me!! thank you Ginger! XD

Samir Fantastic review man! I can't wait to start this! I'm even tempted to start it before I finish Memories of Ice :)

Petrik Maddie wrote: "Fantastic review, Petrik 😊"

thanks Maddie! :)

Petrik Samir wrote: "Fantastic review man! I can't wait to start this! I'm even tempted to start it before I finish Memories of Ice :)"

Start it.... start it.... start it.... that's my chant but hey, I think it will be better for you to read this after MoI, it will be a nice break from all the grim! anyway, thanks man, can't wait for you to read it! :)

Petrik Craig wrote: "Damn feels like an age since i have said this, i need to catch up so much on GR but....as ever a wonderful review Petrik. Going off what you wrote and those wonderful images sounds great. Another a..."

Haha Craig, and it's been ages since I heard you said that! Thanks man. I'm very very certain you're going to enjoy reading this book! :D

Stefano G. How fast do you read Petrik?! Pages/Day? You should try slow-reading too (it's a new trend) XDD Great review man!

Petrik Stefano G. wrote: "How fast do you read Petrik?! Pages/Day? You should try slow-reading too (it's a new trend) XDD Great review man!"

Haha I'm not actually a fast reader, I just always try to read at least 150-200 pages a day Stefano! It's not that hard really, I read only at lunch break and night, probably 4 to 5 hours reading time excluding weekend of course. Anyway, thank you man, I hope you'll read this!

message 47: by Nafeeza (new) - added it

Nafeeza A great debut with dark humor, action, mythical creatures (dragons you say!) and great characters!? You are just calling my name. Splendid review my friend and thanks for recommending it to me! :)

Petrik Nafeeza wrote: "A great debut with dark humor, action, mythical creatures (dragons you say!) and great characters!? You are just calling my name. Splendid review my friend and thanks for recommending it to me! :)"

Thank you my friend and you're welcome! I know this will be right up your alley! :)

Stefano G. Petrik wrote: "Stefano G. wrote: "How fast do you read Petrik?! Pages/Day? You should try slow-reading too (it's a new trend) XDD Great review man!"

Haha I'm not actually a fast reader, I just always try to read..."

Well 150-200 pages/day is pretty amazing! I can't read at the moment working too many hours (too tired when I get home) :/... I've already bought it hahaha! Really want to read it actually! :)

Petrik Stefano G. wrote: "Petrik wrote: "Stefano G. wrote: "How fast do you read Petrik?! Pages/Day? You should try slow-reading too (it's a new trend) XDD Great review man!"

Haha I'm not actually a fast reader, I just alw..."

Caffeine helps but yeah... I understand what you mean. Sometimes when I'm too tired, 100 pages is already an achievement. Yeay! Can't wait to see what you thought about this one! :D

« previous 1 3 4