Joanie's Reviews > A Feast for Crows

A Feast for Crows by George R.R. Martin

Aug 12, 2011

bookshelves: 2011, own, re-read-potential, fantasy

** spoiler alert ** I knew there has been disappointment surrounding this book, so I was a bit weary in starting it after the rollercoaster that was Storm of Swords, but I enjoyed Feast for Crows just as much as the previous three books!

Yes, there's no denying that the pace has slowed down after the fierce battles of the past, but there is still plenty that is going on. This book has been criticized for not providing us with our favourite POVs, which is also true, but I felt like there was a good balance of new characters and old. Maybe this is coming from a biased Arya fan [since we still got some of her POV], but I enjoyed learning about the journeys of Sansa/Alayne, Jaime, Brienne, and Cersei, who remains our glimpse into King's Landing and the court.

The story continues to expand and GRRM allows us to look deeper into places we have heard of in passing but have never visited. The Iron Islands and the spirit of their men was fascinating to read about, and knowing what Asha was up to was a treat. It's about time we learned more about Dorne, seeing as how they used to be at the Lannisters' place back when the Mad King reigned. I'm very much intrigued by what Doran is planning - some plans may have failed but he seems a patient and a worthy opponent. We get more strong female characters in the likes of Arianne and the Sand Snakes. Even Myrcella herself is proving to be quite the darling, adjusting well in the far south. Oldtown and the Hightower is definitely new, but the setting provides apt symmetry for the book.

Familiar characters such as Brienne and Jaime have both grown and changed, each on journeys of their own. That goes for Sam too. Cersei seems to hold the power at court at last, with Tywin dead, but a prophecy gnaws away at her sanity. Sansa is at the Eyrie and is trying to convince the world [and herself] that she is Alayne Stone, bastard daughter to Petyr Baelish. Along with Arya, the girls wiping away their identities pains me the most. The younger Stark daughter finds her way to Braavos, ever farther from home.

GRRM leaves us with a lot of questions to keep us reading: What is Jaqen is up to? Victarion, Quentyn, and Marwyn are all looking for Dany, will any of them find her? Will Doran avenge Oberyn and Elia? What will become of Arya? Is Brienne going to die? Who will represent Cersei and Margaery in their trial battles? Does any of Robert's bastard children (Edric, Mya, and Gendry) play a pivotal role in the rest of the story, since they've still alive?

Feast for Crows can be defined as half of a book, intertwined with Dance with Dragons, but it kept me satiated. The lack of action can be understandable - through Brienne and Jaime's eyes we can see the destruction the war have raged upon the common folk, who are too busy burying and mourning their dead to do much else. Winter is truly coming, and I'm impatient to continue reading to see how these characters make it out alive, if any do at all.

PS: House Stark has my heart. I'm defiant enough to believe at least two of the children will be around by the end.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Feast for Crows.

August 12, 2011 – Started Reading
August 12, 2011 – Shelved
August 16, 2011 –
page 164
15.5% "Oldtown, Hightower, Braavos, Dorne...new places, new adventures, new POVs. Loving it."
August 18, 2011 –
page 496
August 20, 2011 – Shelved as: 2011
August 20, 2011 – Shelved as: own
August 20, 2011 – Shelved as: re-read-potential
August 20, 2011 – Finished Reading
February 5, 2014 – Shelved as: fantasy

message 1: by Elaine (new)

Elaine I really wonder how you have so much time to read, 4th book already! :P

Joanie Haha, usually I read 2-3 books at the same time because I get bored, but lately I've just been reading these ones nonstop! They're so addictive! I try to churn through them like Harry Potter but the plot expands everywhere and there are always more characters to keep track of, so it takes me a lot longer! Feels like I'm reading fast but I've been reading for over a month now. :P