Michael's Reviews > Bring Up the Bodies

Bring Up the Bodies by Hilary Mantel

I began this with tremendous trepidation. I loved Wolf Hall and kept wondering if this could possibly hold up, thinking of all those times when a sequel didn't. For those of you wondering that too, let me assure you: this is a great novel in its own right, and a more-than-worthy sequel. Mantel is again at the top of her game, writing with the same incisiveness and the same narrative drive that made Wolf Hall so fantastic. You know from the opening pages that you're in the perfect hands to tell this story. Count me in to the Hilary Mantel fan club.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bring Up the Bodies.

Finished Reading
April 20, 2017 – Shelved

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)

message 1: by Eleanor (new)

Eleanor Good to know. I have a copy but haven't got to it yet.

Michael I think you'll be happy once you do! It's fantastic.

message 3: by Sue (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sue Now all we need is the third and final book!

Michael Sue--I totally agree! Of course I'm impatient, but in a way I'm glad Mantel is taking a little time with it and not simply rushing something out.

message 5: by Sue (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sue Michael wrote: "Sue--I totally agree! Of course I'm impatient, but in a way I'm glad Mantel is taking a little time with it and not simply rushing something out."

True, especially since it's to be the last of this series.
Have you read A Place of Greater Safety about the French Revolution, also by Mantel. If you haven't, I definitely recommend it.

message 6: by Eleanor (new)

Eleanor I agree - it is very good indeed. It was in fact her first book, but no-one was prepared to publish such a large book by an unknown, so I think it was published after two others.

One thing I found really impressive about it was that she was able to give us the sense of not knowing what was going to happen next. Even though we know the outcome from history, we feel the tension and uncertainty of the central characters

Michael Thanks so much, Sue and Eleanor, for this wonderful recommendation. I will definitely check it out. I read Eight Months on Ghazzah Street, which I enjoyed, though perhaps not quite as much as Wolf Hall and Bring Up The Bodies (that's a very high bar, though). Interesting that A Place of Greater Safety was actually her first book, but not published until after a couple of others. (Interesting, too, how the publishing industry so frequently fails to recognize quality!). And that's a terrific observation, Eleanor, about Mantel's impressive ability to generate tension even though you already know how the story will end. I found the same thing to be true about Wolf Hall and Bring Up the Bodies, and it frankly floored me, how she was able to pull that off.

message 8: by Sue (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sue Eleanor wrote: "I agree - it is very good indeed. It was in fact her first book, but no-one was prepared to publish such a large book by an unknown, so I think it was published after two others.

One thing I found..."

I totally agree Eleanor. And she is able to create a feeling that uou are actually there in the drawing rooms, the streets of Paris or the small French towns. A masterful piece of writing, amazing for a first work.

Katie Same here -- loved both of these, happily looking forward to #3. In the meantime, I'm recommending Hild by Nicola Griffith, which is a different time period, but felt similar to these in that they feel written for history buffs, they focus on a king's advisor, they're beautifully written, and they focus on both the details of life in that time/place and the political maneuvering of holding power.

Michael Thanks so much, Katie, for the recommendation. I'll definitely check out Hild. It sounds wonderful! I too am happily looking forward to #3 from Hilary Mantel, and while I have trouble being patient sometimes, I'm glad she's taking her time with it and not just rushing something out.

message 11: by Sue (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sue Katie, thanks for the reminder about Hild. I know I have it on my kindle and I should move it up.

Alison S I can't wait until the final part of this series comes out.

message 13: by Nancy (new) - added it

Nancy I also loved Wolf Hall, need still to get this one.

Michael Alison wrote: "I can't wait until the final part of this series comes out."

Me too, Alison!

Michael Nancy wrote: "I also loved Wolf Hall, need still to get this one."

Nancy--it's quite good and a more-than-worthy sequel. I think you'll love it, too.