Veronica's Reviews > The Fifth Season

The Fifth Season by N.K. Jemisin

Of all the books that I have read about motherhood, "The Fifth Season" is in my top five. It feels impossible to write this review without spoiling this magical journey N. K. Jemisin gifted the world. But I'm giving it a try!

The world we find feels familiar to us, yet at the same time so far in the distant future. It is at once sometime long ago and just down the road. The women we meet along the way make up the bulk of the protagonists. Each are flawed in their own way - some are young enough we forgive them and hope they grow out of their weaknesses, others leave us wondering what led them to the place we meet them.

Holding it all together is a race towards the end of the world and two characters wrestling with the role of motherhood. As I said earlier, the manner in which motherhood and mothering is tackled in "The Fifth Season" is contemporary and accessible, all the while occurring on a planet ready to collapse onto everyone.

Life is the only reason why it took me so long to read this page-turner. At 449 pages, it seems intimidating, but at the conclusion you will want more. Thankfully there are two more books in this series.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Fifth Season.

April 20, 2017 – Shelved
April 20, 2017 – Shelved as: need-to-get
January 18, 2018 – Started Reading
January 18, 2018 –
page 198
42.31% "I've been scared of long books since the end of grad school. This is such an engrossing book thou! Sad it took me this long to tackle - FTR I bought it in October. Disturbingly beautiful."
March 10, 2018 –
page 388
82.91% "Ooh Rust!"
March 23, 2018 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-1 of 1 (1 new)

message 1: by Tanya (new) - added it

Tanya Tarr I'm currently reading it! :) will read your review when I'm done :)