Chaima ✨ شيماء 's Reviews > Vicious

Vicious by V.E. Schwab

bookshelves: read-in-2017, favorites, adult, sci-fi, fantasy, fiction
Read 2 times. Last read November 28, 2017 to December 12, 2017.

I really wish I had a megaphone so I could accurately get across just how much I fucking love this book.

I have so much of this book in my heart even my body feels too heavy to carry it. This is genuinely the best anti-hero story that I have ever read and now I have to readjust every other expectation in my life just to match it. Honestly. How is there so much in Schwab's mind? All I want is to climb inside and revel at all the brilliance. She didn’t even have to go SO hard on this book but she did that…she did that for all of us.

There are no good men in this game.

So, what’s this book about?

Vicious is best described as a cautionary tale about how everything would be better if college theses were cancelled. Otherwise, a couple of rich entitled bored grad students would set their minds on gaining a superpower that correlates to the type of near-death experience, coming close to a revolutionary thesis about EOs but opening the seventh seal of the goddamn apocalypse instead.

Victor Vale is driven by a singular determination to see his best friend Eli to his demise after he's helped put Victor in prison—which isn’t really reproachable since Victor did, albeit accidentally, kill Eli’s girlfriend and people do tend to go to prison for that. Victor Vale, however, refuses to accept the pointlessness of revenge and every breath he's taken during his ten years in prison was done with the memory of how it would feel to deck Eli right in his smug bastard face.

And by some messed up cosmic sense of karmic justice, three days after his prison break out, Victor Vale manages to excerce a broad persuasion on a motley crew to assist him in destroying Eli:

- Mitch, a tattooed, built-like-an-18-wheeler escaped convict with terrible luck who is exceptionally skilled at hacking and happens to immensely enjoy chocolate milk.
- Sydney, a 12 years old precious child with necromancy powers whom Victor had picked up on the side of the road and immediately adopted.
- a giant zombie dog who’s never really asked to partake in any of this.
- drunk uncle™ Dominic, an alcoholic teleporter with chronic pain.

Eli Ever is what Jane Austen would have referred to in 1817 as “never done anything to entitle himself to more than the abbreviation of his name” had he been named Richard. (A true loss, indeed.) Eli is suffering from a severe case of god complexe and is convinced of his own absolute superiority. We're talking “a deluded social justice warrior with a Steve Rogers obsession” kind of fucked up here. But look, in all fairness, if I'd spent a shit ton of time on a thesis that didn’t turn out exactly how I wanted, I too would let the situation go completely out of control, resulting in a body count and vengeance arc. I won't even care.

All Eli had to do was smile. All Victor had to do was lie. Both proved frighteningly effective.

All jokes aside, Vicious really has the most original take on superpowers that I have ever encountered. It's taken every hero/villain trope that’s so widespread in the genre by the throat and smashed it across the wall. It's utterly unpredictable, like watching the first domino fall but not knowing which pattern it would produce.

And not only is it amazingly written and expertly structured, but THE CHARACTERS. No one writes anti-heroes like Schwab. Every single one of the characters has their own backstory and morality and motivations and what I loved the most is how even when there's a sense of profound alienation in them, how you won't necessarily assimilate with them or feel like you look like them or relate to them; there’s always the possibility to locate similarities to make them feel kind of less distant.

This book just has so much room in it for the unimaginable and it's utterly captivating.

Meet the characters!

VICTOR VALE

The paper called Eli a hero. The word made Victor laugh. Not just because it was absurd, but because it posed a question. If Eli really was a hero, and Victor meant to stop him, did that make him a villain?

[finds the most morally questionable asshole in a book] I would dip my love in 24k gold before it's offered to you I love you.

I swear my life is just one unattainable sort of morally mediocre fictional character after another. No really. If the character in a book wears all black and is seemingly selfish and only in it for themselves UNTIL they're dragged kicking and screaming into caring about certain people, then congratulations my good sir I am now yours!

I know you’re never supposed to humanize characters that evidently are not human in every non-physical way but you really can't deny what a dad friend Victor Vale is: 1) he's always trying to take care of the people who are closest to him but is too distant and emotionally clumsy to be any good at it. 2) 'I'm cold.' 'I'm Victor' which is the pinnacle of dad humor. 3) when sydney was told to go somewhere safe, she didn't even hesitate before going to look for Victor because 'safe had become Victor'. 4) this is the man who tortured a cop for hours right before he took his adoptive daughter out for hot chocolate. I mean? the important question here is: is it too late to wrap myself up like a baby and drop myself off on Victor's doorstep?

Can we also collectively agree that Victor Vale is really just a delicate orchid? Attention is his sunshine. Validation is his water. Drama is his dirt. Because truth is, he's literally only ever wanted Eli's attention. I’m not saying he needs validation to live, I’m just saying that when his heart was flatlining, had Eli just started telling him how great he was instead of trying to revive him?? his ass would be conscious within five seconds!!!! (case in point:)

Hate was too simple a word. He and Eli were bonded, by blood and death and science. They were alike, more so now than ever. And he had missed Eli. He wanted to see him. And he wanted to see him suffer. He wanted to see the look in Eli’s eyes when he lit them up with pain. He wanted his attention.

Anyway, have I mentioned recently how much I absolutely love Victor Vale? I feel like I haven't been clear enough about that lately but I'd like to remind everyone that he really is the love of my life!

ELI EVER

I want to believe that there’s more. That we could be more. Hell, we could be heroes.

Now theoretically speaking, I'm a huge fan of villains who 100% believe in their cause, who genuinely think what they're doing is the absolute right thing, who would show utter agony at the barest prospect of their plans being hindered, who are so desperate to win because in their guts, they believe their work is going to save everyone. The villains with the most horrible hero complexes and who would NEVER even think of themselves as villains.

In reality though, I'm not invested in anything except the downfall of this son of a bitch. Victor Vale might also be a villain and a piece of shit but he genuinely would never shoot a child AND a dog and he should wear that as a mark of pride.

Oh and Eli, sweetie, sorry to break this to you but as Copernicus basically stated “The Earth revolves around the sun”, NOT you. There are over 7 billion people on that fictional planet of yours. There’s probably a million assholes just like you, but I just hope they’re having a better time.

MITCH

Mitchell Turner was cursed. Always had been. Trouble followed him like a shadow, clinging to him no matter how much good light he tried to stand in. In his hands, good things broke and bad things grew.

I relate to Mitch because I too would risk everything and put myself in actual mortal danger to defend Victor and Sydney.

Mitch is so fucking iconic. This good dude has a fatal case of “wrong place, wrong time” and he always ends up in jail for crimes he did not commit. So one day, he just gets fed up! So what does he do then? He just goes, “You know what. Fuck this. I might as well commit a real crime goddammit. *spins wheel* Oh would you look at that. A bank job. Perfect. Karma wanna mess with me? Joke's on you, bitch. I’ve already given up on life! This is just another step further into my grave haha hah haha......aha.”

Seriously though, Mitch is a good fucking person with a big heart and he deserves a lot more than the shitty hand that life has dealt him this far. I love him so much.

SERENA

Serena Clarke spent half her time wishing she were dead, and the other half telling everyone around her what to do, and wishing someone wouldn’t do it.”

One of the best female villains ever. She's a storm of a woman. Wild, unbridled, a force of nature. Like, she's the kind of woman you would be married to for two years and one day, she's in a silk robe and curlers throwing your most prized possessions off the balcony of your mansion overlooking the sea. you look at her, a shell of a man, and know that she has stolen your money, your youth, and your passion for life. AND I WHOLEHEARTEDLY SUPPORT HER. She deserves to be bathed in milk like cleopatra and be encased in soft pearl. Truly an icon.

Overall, I literally love this book so much and if you guys haven't read it you're missing out on so much good content!!!!!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Vicious.

Finished Reading
April 20, 2017 – Shelved
November 28, 2017 – Started Reading
November 29, 2017 –
10.0% "remember, if victor vale's senior art thesis was literally just blacking out entire pages of his parents' books out of spite to make some stupid contrived combination of words, you can make it too"
November 30, 2017 –
page 18
4.92% "victor vale paid some tech guy to hack the university’s system in order to avoid being assigned a roomate and this is why we love and fear him"
November 30, 2017 –
page 42
11.48% "“I’m cold,” she said.
“I’m Victor,” he said.

the pinnacle of dad-humor"
December 1, 2017 –
50.0% "I think I've got a boner in my heart for victor vale"
December 2, 2017 –
55.0% "mitch & victor: we've only had Sydney for a day and a half, but if anything happened to her, we would kill everyone in this room and then ourselves"
December 5, 2017 –
70.0% "cause of death: Serena telling Sydney to go somewhere safe and Sydney not even hesitating before going to look for Victor because 'safe had become Victor'

honestly someone get Victor Vale the #1 dad mug he earned it"
December 12, 2017 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-50 of 55 (55 new)

sofia (sam willows) do you have zero self control?

❄️Nani❄️ 👏👏👏👏

mags 24/7 Mood

Anca oh the feels

Chaima ✨ شيماء sofia (sam willows) wrote: "WHAT"

that's what I said

Chaima ✨ شيماء sofia (sam willows) wrote: "do you have zero self control?"

self control?? never met her

Karolina ♛ Coffee & Books Inc. There is no filling that void 😂

emma Ya know I love Victor but his life stresses me out ok

Chaima ✨ شيماء ❄️Nani❄️ wrote: "👏👏👏👏"

🙌🏽

Chaima ✨ شيماء adaline wrote: "24/7 Mood"

this mood is universal

Chaima ✨ شيماء Anca wrote: "oh the feels"

i knoooow!!! I forgot how much I fucking love this book

Nora Eliana Same! Can't wait for Vengeful!

Chaima ✨ شيماء Karolina ♛ wrote: "There is no filling that void 😂"

actually, you're 150% correct I'll just rot now

Chaima ✨ شيماء Emma wrote: "Ya know I love Victor but his life stresses me out ok"

no sweetie u don't get to say u love victor when you've been igoring him for literal MONTHS, next

Chaima ✨ شيماء Nora wrote: "Same! Can't wait for Vengeful!"

it physically pains me that we have to wait a year until its release dhfjdjfjdjf

juliana I recently bought this book and I'm planning to read it asap!

Elizabeth LOVE this!

Chaima ✨ شيماء juliana wrote: "I recently bought this book and I'm planning to read it asap!"

omg yessss I hope u love it!!!!

Chaima ✨ شيماء Elizabeth wrote: "LOVE this!"

aaaah me too!!!

message 21: by Harrison Kay (new)

Harrison Kay Hey would this book be sutible for a kid?

Elizabeth Harrison Kay wrote: "Hey would this book be sutible for a kid?"

Nope!

Chaima ✨ شيماء Harrison Kay wrote: "Hey would this book be sutible for a kid?"

oh definitely not

message 24: by [deleted user] (new)

agh this on my shelf pls why havent i read it

Chaima ✨ شيماء ilsa ➹ wrote: "agh this on my shelf pls why havent i read it"

dude. it’s so good omg u should definitely prioritize reading it okay?? cool okay

clara i love serena so much honestly

Chaima ✨ شيماء clara wrote: "i love serena so much honestly"

message 28: by lacy (new) - rated it 4 stars

lacy I legit was not really interested in this book but your review has made me want to read ASAP.

clara softlykaz wrote: "clara wrote: "i love serena so much honestly"

i second this but hold on a second, is that a three stars rating I see????????????"

yeahhhh oops

clara for some reason i thought i saw somewhere that victor and eli were gay for each other and then it didn’t happen :// and eli was boring and serena deserved better tbh.
but if victor being ace is going to be acknowledged in vengeful then i’m about 95% sure that’s going to be at least a 4 star

Chaima ✨ شيماء lacy wrote: "I legit was not really interested in this book but your review has made me want to read ASAP."

sjejcnfjdjf this is the only kind of legacy I want to leave behind. It really is an epic book and I hope you love it!!

Chaima ✨ شيماء clara wrote: "for some reason i thought i saw somewhere that victor and eli were gay for each other and then it didn’t happen :// and eli was boring and serena deserved better tbh.
but if victor being ace is goi..."

ok but I thought so too?? except Eli is a piece of shit and Victor definitely deserves better sjdjcnfjdj and hell yeah schwab confirmed that it’s going to be canon in the second book and I’m so fucking here for it

Sophie I was SO disappointed by this book. The idea is good but it's just awfully predictable and empty to be. :/

Bibliyohan Blackthorn ➰ Awesome review! Aaaaaaand #TeamVictor! lol, I just finished Vicious and I can't wait for Vengeful this September XD

Faith (BookSelf ~ You Are What You Read) This is the best review ever hahahah ALSO VICTOR IS LOVE VICTOR IS LIFE

☆ Mira ✷ your entire review is literally my one mood for the month since i read this <3

Lydia I've literally just finished it and OH GOD IT HURTS SO GOOD wowwww

Chaima ✨ شيماء Sophie wrote: "I was SO disappointed by this book. The idea is good but it's just awfully predictable and empty to be. :/"

aw I’m sorry you didn’t love it :((

Chaima ✨ شيماء Johann wrote: "Awesome review! Aaaaaaand #TeamVictor! lol, I just finished Vicious and I can't wait for Vengeful this September XD"

hell yeah team victor all the way!! omg same I’m so excited for vengeful omfg

message 40: by Ines (new) - added it

Ines Thank you! I have been reading reviews TRYING to get excited about this book. But I just wasn’t sold. And you just did it. So thank you ♥️

Kristal i love mitch with my whole ass heart

message 42: by erica (new) - added it

erica Such a good review!! You make me want to run to the library and get this book right now even though I'm literally halfway through 87 books

message 43: by bee (new) - added it

bee I haven't read any Victoria Schwab books yet, which one would you say is the best to start with? everyone says they're so good :D

Chaima ✨ شيماء Faith wrote: "This is the best review ever hahahah ALSO VICTOR IS LOVE VICTOR IS LIFE"

YOURE SO LOVELY THANK YOU SO MUCH

Chaima ✨ شيماء ☆ Mira ✷ wrote: "your entire review is literally my one mood for the month since i read this <3"

I’m sooo glad you loved it 💕💕

message 46: by Chaima ✨ شيماء (last edited Oct 13, 2018 03:18AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Chaima ✨ شيماء Lydia wrote: "I've literally just finished it and OH GOD IT HURTS SO GOOD wowwww"

ISN’T IT THE BEST OMG

message 47: by Rida (new) - added it

Rida Imran (ON HIATUS) Your review is everything!

Sadie I opened the book and I thought it would be pretentious but I then realized it was about idiotic, tired college kids almost killing themselves for a thesis and I was not prepared for how good it would be

Razikho.Com I don't see no note on Sydney

Wesley You had my interest at anti-hero

« previous 1