Mel's Reviews > The Wild Boys

The Wild Boys by William S. Burroughs

2030264
Aug 12, 2011

bookshelves: some-of-my-best-reads, from-the-library, beats, books-for-queers, burroughs

William S Burroughs does not like women or at least he did not like his distopian fantasies to contain any flattering versions of them. I would not expect a man who shot his wife in the head accidentally while trying to shoot a shot glass off her head (while wasted I might add) to have any use for women (although it is said that he was deeply sorry and remorseful for having "accidentally" murdered his wife.) He even says so in his wild distopian world where women are eventually used as surrogates to make more wild boys and they have no need to even come remotely in contact with any awful women creatures from the time they are born. That being said I still enjoy Burroughs' writing. It is engaging and creative and perverse in a way that only Burroughs can be. This book is filled with pages and pages of raw sweaty gay male sex (but is not without its own sensitivities), war, violence, decadence and drug references. This is why I love Burroughs he just said things in a way no one else does and the fact that he does not want any women in his distopian fantasy world filled with young men who are filled with an isatiable lust for each other and a lust for violence really does not bother me one bit. This is his fantasy world not mine and I am glad he wrote it down so I could get a glimpse into it. We need books like this. Books that scare and disgust people but at the same open your mind to a new way of thinking and writing.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Wild Boys.

August 12, 2011 – Started Reading
August 12, 2011 – Shelved
August 12, 2011 –
page 25
12.95% "This book is filled with interesting passages like : \n "Her evil eyes rotate in a complex calendar and these calculations occupy her for many hours each night settled in her nest she puffs and chirps and twitters and writes in notebooks that are stacked around her bed with magazines on astrology....""
August 15, 2011 –
page 54
27.98% ""It is a day like any other. Breakfast in the patio served by my Malay boy. The patio is a miniature oasis with a pool, palms, a cobra, a sand fox, and some big orange lizards mean and snappy which eat melon rinds.""
August 16, 2011 –
page 68
35.23% ""Christmas Eve... An old junky selling Christmas seals on North Clark Street. The "priest" they called him.....""
August 19, 2011 – Finished Reading