Erik Graff's Reviews > The Farther Reaches of Human Nature

The Farther Reaches of Human Nature by Abraham H. Maslow

bookshelves: psychology
Recommended to Erik by: college psychology professor
Recommended for: those interested in psychology

I was first exposed to Abraham Maslow's psychology in college. Being unwilling as a vegetarian to participate in the dread "rat lab", Grinnell's sympathetic psychology department allowed me to do the introductory course as a guided reading project with Professor Morse. Although I avoided laboratory work, I was probably forced to read a lot more than the average beginning student and, given possible prejudices on the part of the professor, I probably was directed more towards traditional depth psychologies and what then was called "humanistic" psychology.

Maslow was a big deal back then amongst the humanists because of his rather upbeat approach to psychology. This posthumous collection of his essays (he died in 1970, in the middle of the project which was ultimately finished by his wife) represents an overview of the work he's primarily known for, being a series of revised versions of previously published essays.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Farther Reaches of Human Nature.

Started Reading