Lisa's Reviews > Glamour in Glass

Glamour in Glass by Mary Robinette Kowal

bookshelves: fantasy, backlist-burndown

Review from Tenacious Reader: http://www.tenaciousreader.com/2017/0...

Glamour in Glass was every bit of an enjoyable escape for me as Shades of Milk and Honey. I absolutely love this time period setting and the magic of glamours just enhances that. In this one, Jane and Vincent work as a husband and wife team working as glamourists for noble families. Jane is adjusting to married life, as they are working on their "honeymoon".

I have to say, one of the things I am really enjoying about this series is light and fresh and it is also so easy to read. I know, that may not sound like much, but Kowal makes this story flow seemingly effortlessly, taking you noble world of Europe in the 1800s.

I continue to enjoy Jane as a character. She is a strong female character that is edging a place for herself in the very misogynistic atmosphere that existed at the time. Women have their place, and it has typically been behind her husband and the men. Vincent treats her with respect, and sees her as an equal partner, but he's also a bit clueless and awkward at times and is not always aware of how not everyone is the same as him. And is not always aware of how his actions may come across. Awkward is actually a very good word for Jane and Vincent's relationship at times. Not bad, just they are still new to each other, and learning how to be a team and communicate and understand one another is just part of the process.

Definitely an enjoyable series so far, and I'm looking forward to reading the next one.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Glamour in Glass.

April 19, 2017 – Started Reading