Blair's Reviews > Close Your Eyes

Close Your Eyes by Michael Robotham

In criminal psychologist Joe O'Loughlin, thriller writer extraordinaire Michael Robotham has created an original and sympathetic protagonist. In many ways, Joe reminds of those pseudo-cops who solve all the crimes but aren't actually police. Kinda like the Mentalist, Castle, and, dare I say it, even Scooby Doo. These guys end up doing all the leg work, facing all kinds of dangerous situations, and what do they get for it? In the case of Joe O'Loughlin, an annoying dose of Parkinson's disease and more trouble than the early settlers, that's what. If it's not his poor kids getting into perilous scrapes, it's his estranged wife coming down with a nasty case of Jimmy Dancer. The poor bloke... you just have to feel for him.

I reckon I must have read one of the O'Loughlin series years ago, the guy feels so familiar. But I wouldn't put my house on it. For me, "Close Your Eyes" took a long time to warm up, and when the villain was finally revealed in all his perverse and disgusting glory, I felt Robotham hadn't spent enough time developing that character and had paid too much attention to the red herrings. However, I do loves me a good, frantic ending with lots of vigorous page flipping, and in that the author delivered in spades.

There was enough meat on the bones of this novel to make me want to check out more adventures in this series.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Close Your Eyes.

April 15, 2017 – Started Reading