Angel Hench's Reviews > Lost Boy: The True Story of Captain Hook

Lost Boy by Christina Henry

bookshelves: you-must-read-this

A plethora of books on the market now retell old fairytales. Skip all of these – read Lost Boy by Christina Henry instead!

Lost Boy is Jamie’s story. Jamie is the first boy that Peter Pan brought to his island. He is also the defacto father-figure for the other boys, but only because he is the “oldest” and realizes that they still need to eat and, occasionally, bathe. And given that their lives consist of roughhousing, battle simulations, fighting off the Many-Eyed, and ransacking the pirates’ camp, he is also the closest thing to a doctor the boys have.

Everything changes when Peter brings back a boy who is younger than usual. Charlie is only five years old, and takes much of Jamie’s time and attention. Much of the book deals with Peter’s jealousy over Charlie and Jamie’s relationship and the schemes of Peter to separate Jamie from the young boy.

The addition of Nip and Sal bring further complications, of which you will need to read yourself.

And then after many crying jags (mine) – Captain Hook.

Suffice it to say, I will never look at Peter Pan the same again. I am now and forever a Captain Hook fan.

A review copy of this book was provided by the publisher. (A huge thank you to Berkley Publishing Group!)

Rating: 95/100

Buy this book July 4th!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lost Boy.

April 19, 2017 – Shelved
June 14, 2017 – Started Reading
page 60
20.55% "Unexpected tears for Charlie."
page 68
23.29% "We meet the Many-Eyed - "their fat round bodies, covered in shaggy hair and swollen with the blood of their meals; their legs - eight of them, far too many, and the strange bent way they moved, gliding and awkward at the same time. They were alien, everything a boy was not.""
page 113
38.7% "Only 100 pages in and I'm crying again."
page 122
41.78% "Peter heaved a great sigh, as though he hadn't intended for it to end that way all along. Me against Nip, HIS RIGHT HAND against the boy who wanted to take my place. - I detect some intentional wording here."
page 176
60.27% "Sal!"
June 14, 2017 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-1 of 1 (1 new)

Katie Same! I had always liked Captain Hook as a character, but now Peter in every incarnation will give me the heebie jeebies. Good stuff!