BethLee's Reviews > Girl in Pieces

Girl in Pieces by Kathleen Glasgow

F 50x66
Apr 22, 2017

Wow! Girl in Pieces left me speechless!

Summary from Goodreads:
Charlotte Davis is in pieces. At seventeen she’s already lost more than most people lose in a lifetime. But she’s learned how to forget. The thick glass of a mason jar cuts deep, and the pain washes away the sorrow until there is nothing but calm. You don’t have to think about your father and the river. Your best friend, who is gone forever. Or your mother, who has nothing left to give you.

Every new scar hardens Charlie’s heart just a little more, yet it still hurts so much. It hurts enough to not care anymore, which is sometimes what has to happen before you can find your way back from the edge.

This book was kind of strange at first. It focuses on a girl living in the slums who is now in a rehab center. She was a cutter and almost got killed by some rapists. I thought that Charlotte was crazy at first, but then I realized that she just wasn't living the perfect life we read about in many books.

Charlie soon gets out of the mental hospital, and is forced to live on her own. She moves away, and gets a job working in a coffee shop. Things aren't easy, and she is tempted into her old way of life many times.

Some things are too tough for Charlotte to handle. She works with a man who is as damaged as she is, and not good for her. I really liked Charlie's character though. She was really realistic.

I have read some reviews that said that they didn't like the writing style in this book. I personally found it the best part of the book. It was vivid and very deep and touching. There were a lot of descriptions. It was the thing that kept me reading, even when the plot was slow.
The plot could be very slow. The book seemed to go on forever, but it eventually resolved.

The ending of this book was amazing, and kept me reading. It was happy and sad at the same time.

Overall, this is a great book that deals with some tough issues.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Girl in Pieces.

April 19, 2017 – Started Reading