Nora Ellen (The Bookery)'s Reviews > Claimed by the Highlander

Claimed by the Highlander by Julianne MacLean

Aug 11, 2011

did not like it
bookshelves: adult-series

When Gwendolen's castle is under attack, she rises to the challenge because of her dead father and absent brother. However, Angus "The Lion" MacDonald takes the castle completely in the first ten pages. Then he claims Gwen as his soon-to-be bride in front of the entire population. What's a virgin to do? Oh, let's write to our neighboring allies in a desperate plea for rescue, while holding out hope that her brother will return to reclaim the castle and its people. But before help arrives, Gwen finds herself married to her worst enemy.

Angus MacDonald, fresh from the battle, terrifies Gwen. However, Gwen's innocence, and interest, intrigues Angus. But a wife was never part of the plan. Every night, Angus finds himself more affected by his new bride. Soon, Gwen goes from blushing virgin to wanton wife. But their distractions in each other give way to a rebellion by an enemy neither one of them saw coming.

Reading this book, half of the time, I wanted to smack some emotion into Angus. The other half, I wanted to just smack Gwen. Honestly, Angus was as emotionless as a brick wall. Gwen went from "No, don't touch me" to "let's do it every five minutes" in two chapters. Besides their spontaneity, there was about fifty characters that were important enough to have names and expected to be remembered. Over all, this book was an hour-long distraction that just made me more distracted. When I'm reading a book, I would rather be swept into another world that stay grounded and struggle to figure out who's who and why I should care about this guy's cousin's sister-in-law who's husband works in yonder field. But, hey, he's a semi-major character!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Claimed by the Highlander.

Started Reading