Adesuwa Grace (Somewhat Reserved)'s Reviews > Unwind

Unwind by Neal Shusterman

bookshelves: dystopia, sci-fi, awesome, minimal-romance, divertido

I never knew that I would read a Dystopian book about an American society that settled the arguments between Pro-Life and Pro-Choice.

The story is told in the third person, present tense. Fast paced and surprisingly enjoyable.

Unwind has no 'official' protagonist but realistically Connor has quite a bit of the spotlight. He, among the two other main characters - Risa and Lev are AWOL Unwinds. Thanks to this book, I finally know what AWOL means.
"AWOL..." she says. "What does that mean, anyway?"
"It's an old military term or something," Connor says. "It means 'absent without leave'."

Risa was the only female main character. She's smart and brave but I didn't like her all that much. I liked her name from the beginning, though. I was pleased to find out that it's short for 'sonrisa', which is Spanish for smile.

Lev has a Christian background and was destined to be a tithe - basically, he was chosen to be unwound for religious reasons. Other kids of different religious backgrounds get chosen for this as well.

Lev was one of my favourites. He was simply adorable and brave and it was interesting to see how his opinion on Christianity and God was challenged and how that influenced his decisions. It's so rare to see an actual Christian character in a traditionally published YA series. A lot of the Christian characters I've read are so watered down.

"Actually," says Lev, "Scamming IS stealing."
"Maybe so," says Connor, "But it's stealing with style."

(view spoiler)

At a certain point, Lev meets a black guy named Cyrus Finch - but refers to himself as CyFi. Except the black people are called 'Umber' in this world and the white people are sometimes called 'Sienna'. I just don't like that part of the book. That was just messy.

Anyway, Lev once called CyFi out for using African-American Vernacular English on purpose (or Old Umber, as CyFi says). CyFi said that he knows how to speak English well and that he talks that way to respect his ancestors. Thankfully, he didn't speak like that throughout because I was getting sick of it.

This book deals with quite a few topics: Life, Death, Religion, Politics, Good vs Bad. However, it was also quite humorous. Sometimes in a silly way it cracked me up and other times it was kind of dark.

I almost forgot to mention that there's a tiny bit of romance that would usually annoy me but Neal Shusterman used it in a way that was not so annoying. I wish there was none, though. At least it was only a tiny bit.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Unwind.

April 19, 2017 – Shelved
April 28, 2018 –
page 58
April 29, 2018 –
page 73
21.79% "The dialogue is actually so good..."
May 1, 2018 –
May 10, 2018 –
page 256
May 10, 2018 –
page 335
100.0% "Guys, this book is just...wow. I don't even know what to do..."
May 10, 2018 – Shelved as: awesome