Katy's Reviews > Rabbletown: Life in These United Christian States of Holy America

Rabbletown by Randy Attwood

Aug 11, 2011

bookshelves: ebook, i-edited
Recommended for: EVERY SINGLE PERSON IN THE WHOLE WORLD
Read 3 times

Please note, I originally read this book 9/2/2011 from a copy provided by the author for review; I provided editing for the author later, prior to publishing this book in paperback format.

Additional note: I now have an audio file of myself reading this review aloud, which can be found on Soundcloud by following this link. So, if you've been curious to hear my voice, here is your chance!

Book info Genre: Dystopian Reading Level: Adult
Recommended for: EVERYONE

My reading experience: I expected a few things when I started reading this book. I expected to maybe be amused by a satirical take on the Fundamentalists that are doing their utmost to take over this country – sadly, the concept is difficult to make amusing, because the idea of Fundamentalists taking over this country and turning it into an Evangelical theocracy is absolutely terrifying to anyone who wants to live in love and Light. I expected to be outraged by the excesses of Fundamentalist leaders who grow fat and rich off the tithing of their flock, while the common people live in poverty and squalor. I expected to be terrified by the idea of an Evangelical theocracy in general. What I did not expect was to be profoundly moved. I did not expect the overwhelming desire to make this book required reading for everyone. I did not expect goose bumps or a profound feeling of “rightness” to come over me while I read this book. I did not expect to want to take to the streets to preach the word of Bobby – to propose that the world would be a better place if we all became … Bobbites.

Synopsis: You see, 12-year-old Bobby Crowley – the son of stone-mason Bob Crowley, who is working to build a cathedral in Topeka, KS that will be larger and more glorious than any other cathedral in the world – is special. He has an amazing memory for Bible verses, and a strangely wise way of saying just the right thing at just the right time. And he has been carefully watching the formation of a significant alignment of stars in the sky, including a new star that just appeared three months ago, which are coming into a cross-like shape. And on a Friday like any other Friday – a Stoning Friday that would see the stoning to death of a “heathen, a whore, a pair of adulterers and a pair of faggots” - Bobby takes his place among the great religious leaders of the world when he steps forward and speaks the words, “Let he who is without sin cast the first stone,” and in the process saves the life of a beatific young woman: he gains a following and begins performing miracles, and providing proverbs of hope, peace and love. Many people believe he is the second coming of Christ.

Caught in his wake are a prostitute, his teacher (himself gay and who has been forcing himself upon the weaker boys in his classes), the young woman who had been accused of being a whore and set to be stoned, a seller of banned books, a Catholic friar and many more; they go into Rabbletown, the slums of Topeka, where Bobby spreads the true way – the way of peace, love, acceptance and kindness, rather than the hate and manipulations used by those in power. And in a world where the leaders all revere and emulate the practices and beliefs of that disgusting scumbag Fred Phelps, those sorts of teachings are threatening to the power structure. Bobby and all who believe in him and his miracles are declared anathema and the Inquisition is sent after them.

My Thoughts: This book does two things: it exposes the horror of a theocratic, fascist Evangelical Fundamentalist power structure, and it provides hope for redemption for anyone who chooses to live a truly good life, and follow the basic teachings that so many modern-day dogmatics seem to forget are the only two rules laid down by Christ – you know, the one Christians are supposed to emulate? Yeshua Christos told his followers to follow two simple rules:
1) love each other and treat others like you would like them to treat you and;
2) love the Higher Power of Creation, in whatever form you choose to comprehend It.
It doesn’t matter what religion, creed, belief structure, or lack thereof you choose to affiliate yourself with, these simple rules are common across almost every single one, and are the only rules that are really necessary to create a world in which everyone would like to live. This book – reading this book – will cause a profound shift in perception and I believe, honestly, that the world would be a better place if everyone followed the example set by Bobby. We all need to become Bobbites. Read this book and see if you don’t find these truths to be as profound as I did.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Rabbletown.

Quotes Katy Liked

Randy Attwood
“On April 1, the Holy Spirit descended into the body of President Jerry Falwell I, who, it turned out, was in the last year of his life on this world, and God spoke. He wanted them to form God’s Church of the Evangels and he wanted all Americans to have a chance to convert to that true church. Those who did not would be an abomination to the Lord. All the leaders present recognized the voice of the Holy Spirit and fell to their knees and all instantly joined the newly -formed church. The Great Conversion had begun. Interestingly enough, April 1 used to be known as April Fool’s Day and people played practical jokes on each other , but of course it is now Jerry Falwell Day and the holiday is celebrated with praises to the Holy Spirit.”
Randy Attwood, Rabbletown: Life in These United Christian States of Holy America

Randy Attwood
“New beatitudes came from him [Bobby]: “Blessed are those who live in hovels, for God will give them palaces in heaven.”
He gave them new commandments:
“God weeps when anyone kills in his name; kill not.
“God hates hate; hate not.
“God loves love; love more.
“You need not trust in God; you need hope that God will trust in you.
"You are your own master. The way is within you.”

Randy Attwood
“I am Christ as he was. He is not important; his way is important," Bobby answered.
"Tell us about the way," another Evangel in the crowd asked.
"Love is the way; hate is not the way.
"Kindness is the way. Humility is the way. Beauty is the way.
"Pride is not the way. Arrogance is not the way. Boasting is not the way.
"Giving is the way. Taking is not the way.
"Follow the way and it will lead you to God. Jesus is the way.
"The way is in each of you. You are your own master and savior.”

“Woe! Woe! Woe!
"Woe be unto the pastors that destroy and scatter the sheep of His pasture!
"Woe to him that buildeth a town with blood and by iniquity!
"Woe unto you that are rich! For ye have received your consolation!
"Woe to the pastors who are brutish and have not sought the Lord!
"Woe to the Inquisitors, for Jesus will inquire unto them!
"Blessed are the faggots, for their voices will be an angel's choir.
"Blessed is my sister, Lila, for heaven is within her.
"Blessed are the rabble, for they shall know God.
"But woe upon you, for the evil of your own doings shall be visited upon you.
"Let my sister go!”

Randy Attwood
“...the way is the healer's way: do no harm.”

Randy Attwood
“Blessed be the stone masons, for they shall lay bricks of gold on the streets of heaven for their wives to walk upon. Blessed are the sowers and harvesters, for they shall live again in the Garden of Eden. Blessed are the bartenders, for Jesus will serve them. Blessed are the prostitutes, for Jesus will embrace them. Woe unto the pastors who preach hate, for they shall live in eternal hate. Woe unto the pastors who become brutes, for their flocks shall be scattered. Woe unto the Inquisitors, for Jesus will inquire unto them.”

Finished Reading (Nook Edition)
Finished Reading
August 11, 2011 – Shelved
August 20, 2011 – Shelved as: ebook
September 2, 2011 –
0.0% "And so Randy Attwood weekend ... BEGINS *drumroll please* I'm signing off now, and going to read until I fall asleep. BAH-BYE NOW"
September 2, 2011 –
8.0% "So far, this is ... terrifying! There is nothing more scary to a Goddess-loving Pagan than to think of a dogmatic Evangelical, Fundamentalist power taking control of this country ... *shudder*"
September 2, 2011 –
41.0% "Am I a bad person for going "YES!" when the Inquisitors were struck by lightning? Oops ..."
September 2, 2011 –
100.0% "this book was amazing! I'm trying to write up a review that will express how much I loved it; - it will be posted soon"
October 6, 2011 – Shelved (Nook Edition)
July 4, 2012 – Started Reading
July 4, 2012 –
3.0% "OOoh, Randy asked me to give this a polish - any excuse to re-read it is something I'll grab! The Cryptos Conundrum can wait!! wOOt!!"
July 4, 2012 –
22.0% "best... birthday present... EVARH."
July 4, 2012 –
44.0% "What do I need to do to get more of you to read this amazing book? PLEASE, you HAVE TO READ IT!!! Ah, I had forgotten how wonderful it was ... *happy sigh*"
July 4, 2012 –
51.0% "one more free-book newsletter to get through, then I can focus again :-)"
July 4, 2012 – Finished Reading
November 27, 2012 – Shelved as: i-edited

message 1: by Junying (new) - added it

Junying Katy, thanks for the recommendation - have put it on my to-read list so will definitely check it out :)

Katy Junying wrote: "Katy, thanks for the recommendation - have put it on my to-read list so will definitely check it out :)"

It's really an amazing book; it's one I bought myself 'cause it looked so good, so when Randy's time came for the book on which he asked for a review, I just gathered up all his books and am making a weekend of it. This was DEFINITELY a high point on which to start!

message 3: by Junying (new) - added it

Junying Katy wrote: "Junying wrote: "Katy, thanks for the recommendation - have put it on my to-read list so will definitely check it out :)"

It's really an amazing book; it's one I bought myself 'cause it looked so g..."

Katy, I'm normally not a sci-fi reader, but I trust your judgement :)

Katy It's not sci-fi; it's more dystopian possible future. It's hard to explain; but I literally got goosebumps whilst reading it. Amazing stuff.

message 5: by Phil (new) - added it

Phil Cantrill Thanks for the tip, Katy. I'll definitely be getting it.

Katy Phil wrote: "Thanks for the tip, Katy. I'll definitely be getting it.
I've been around too long to be swayed by religious fundamentalists of whatever stripe, but your review touches a chord."

And I'm a Goddess-loving Pagan - but this book is about rising ABOVE fundamentalism and just being a good person, which I can totally get behind. :-) I hope you'll like it somewhere near as much as I did.

message 7: by Stuart (new)

Stuart Land Terrific review, Katy. I haven't lived in the US for a long time, but could see how many could follow people who twist a good cause. Personally, I've not seen much good come out of universal, dogmatic religions. What you described is basically the Golden Rule, and that, I believe (like you) is all we really need.

Katy Stuart wrote: "Terrific review, Katy. I haven't lived in the US for a long time, but could see how many could follow people who twist a good cause. Personally, I've not seen much good come out of universal, dogma..."

Thanks! this book is really amazing - you MUST read it as soon as you get a chance.

BTW, where do you live now? I probably saw it, somewhere, but can't pull it out of my befuddled brain right ATM

message 10: by Dale (new) - added it

Dale Ibitz Not something I would have thought to pick up, but your review makes me think twice.

message 11: by Katy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Katy Dale wrote: "Not something I would have thought to pick up, but your review makes me think twice."

I think you'd like it, Dale - definitely give it a look-see.

message 12: by Stuart (new)

Stuart Land I live in Thailand. We have our share of nut jobs too. I say no more.

message 13: by Katy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Katy Stuart wrote: "I live in Thailand. We have our share of nut jobs too. I say no more."

X-D But ... beautiful country, good weather, right? Heh.

message 14: by Ellis (new)

Ellis Vidler It sounds like something we all need to read. I'm putting it on my list. Thanks, Katy.

message 15: by Katy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Katy Ellis wrote: "It sounds like something we all need to read. I'm putting it on my list. Thanks, Katy."

I highly agree - thanks! I hope you can get and read it soon!

message 16: by Randy (new) - added it

Randy Attwood Dear All. Katy did her usual wonderful job editing Rabbletown and I regret I didn't have her do that earlier. Caught a lot of embarrassing mistakes. All cleaned up now, thanks to her, and I'm in the process of republishing to Kindle and will move forward on a print POD.

message 17: by Ellis (new)

Ellis Vidler Randy, please let us know when it's available. Looking forward to reading it.

message 18: by Randy (new) - added it

Randy Attwood The corrected version is now live at Amazon I haven't done smashwords yet

message 19: by Randy (new) - added it

Randy Attwood Have uploaded to Smashwords. Am working on a POD version. Formatter did his job but tells me I have have to have a higher dpi image for the cover so am working with my cover designer.

message 20: by Katy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Katy Here's the link to the Smashwords edition! http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/... Download in any format you want!!

message 21: by Arlene (new) - added it

Arlene Allen I will have to ILL it, my library doesn't own it, and it sounds awesome.

message 22: by Katy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Katy Arlene wrote: "I will have to ILL it, my library doesn't own it, and it sounds awesome."

You can get an e-book from Amazon or Smashwords too. I have the link in the comment directly above yours.

message 23: by Katy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Katy Alan wrote: "Added to my want list."

Awesome!

message 24: by Katy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Katy Alan wrote: "Well......now I have to move it to my read pile because I took time out and just bought a kindle version.....based on your review......image the power you possess Katy.............."

MUAHAHAHAHA!!! The power of my VOICE!!!! X-D

message 25: by Arlene (new) - added it

Arlene Allen I bought it to -that 3.99 on Kindle you can't go wrong and wve if it is half as good as Katy's review implies, I know I'm going to love it.

message 26: by Arlene (new) - added it

Arlene Allen And by the way Katy you're awesome and your reviews gave led me to some great stuff! Thanks!

message 27: by Katy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Katy Thanks, Alan and Arlene - I'm so happy I help you find new and fun books to read. Books are pretty much my life, so I'm always happy to share :-)

message 28: by Randy (new) - added it

Randy Attwood I appreciate all the attention Katy has brought me. If any of you miss those old paper cuts, Rabbletown is also available as a POD through Amazon.

message 29: by Katy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Katy Randy wrote: "I appreciate all the attention Katy has brought me. If any of you miss those old paper cuts, Rabbletown is also available as a POD through Amazon."

It's unfortunate that I don't have a very good webcam. I actually did a vlog of me reading the review and showing the books and your picture, but it turned out very poor quality, and I can't manage to play it back, so I'm not going to even try to upload it.

Michael Fierce Excellent review, Katy!

message 31: by Katy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Katy Michael wrote: "Excellent review, Katy!"

It's an amazing book. Did you listen to the audio version?

message 32: by Alejandro (new)

Alejandro Good review indeed!

message 33: by Katy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Katy Alejandro wrote: "Good review indeed!"

Thanks. It's an excellent book. I've read it three or four times.

message 34: by Alejandro (new)

Alejandro Katy wrote: "Alejandro wrote: "Good review indeed!"

Thanks. It's an excellent book. I've read it three or four times."

Wow! Definitely you like this book :D Awesome! It's great when one gets to like so much a book :)

message 35: by Katy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Katy Hasn't beat my record yet, which is The Hobbit. I think I've read that two dozen times... :-)

message 36: by Alejandro (new)

Alejandro Katy wrote: "Hasn't beat my record yet, which is The Hobbit. I think I've read that two dozen times... :-)"

Wow! Two dozen times! That's what I call a record really hard to beat! I have read some books three times, but I really don't think more than three times. Maybe not because I wouldn't enjoy them again, I am sure that I'd enjoy them again and again, it's just way hard to balance the time between re-read a book and read new books.

Michael Fierce Katy wrote: "It's an amazing book. Did you listen to the audio version?"

Guess I never saw this msg from way back!(!?).

Answer: Uhh, no.

message 38: by Katy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Katy Michael Fierce wrote: "Katy wrote: "It's an amazing book. Did you listen to the audio version?"

Guess I never saw this msg from way back!(!?).

Answer: Uhh, no."

Michael Fierce Katy wrote: "You don't need a video feed, it's just a link to where you can listen to an audio file. I would think that would work? "

Oh, I get it! It had been so long since I read your review I forgot that you weren't talking about the audio BOOK, you were talking about your audio REVIEW. Duh on me. OK, yeah, I'll listen to it tomorrow when I can turn it up higher than a pipsqweek!

message 40: by Katy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Katy AHAHAHAHAAH!!! I don't think Randy has released it as an audiobook, but... I should suggest it to him. If he could find someone to do it for him. Hmmm...

message 41: by Randy (new) - added it

Randy Attwood Dear Katy and all, I'd like to do Rabbletown as an audio book but I have no idea as to procedure or costs.

message 42: by Katy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Katy Randy wrote: "Dear Katy and all, I'd like to do Rabbletown as an audio book but I have no idea as to procedure or costs."

I'm not sure either. Arshad Ahsanuddin has been looking into doing it for Pact Arcanum, you might ask him what he's learned about it. IIRC, hiring a voice actor was fairly expensive.

Michael Fierce Katy wrote: "Randy wrote: "Dear Katy and all, I'd like to do Rabbletown as an audio book but I have no idea as to procedure or costs."

I'm not sure either. Arshad Ahsanuddin has been looking into doing it for ..."

Not that I'm trying to elect myself but after being told my entire life I should do voice-over work my friend Mike is all but insisting I take a class only 2 blocks from where he lives so I'm gonna be getting into that soonish. I only mention it because I was just talking about it yday and then y'all brought it up.

message 44: by Katy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Katy There y'go, Randy! :-) Michael knows about recording things too. So ... maybe y'all should talk?

message 45: by Michael Fierce (last edited Jul 29, 2013 08:44PM) (new)

Michael Fierce Katy wrote: "There y'go, Randy! :-) Michael knows about recording things too. So ... maybe y'all should talk?"

Oh jeez! I'm more the songwriter/producer not the tech guy but I do work in a full capacity studio where we can even do the audio for indie films inc. my buddy Mike did the audio for the guy who did the animation for ParaNorman the movie, in his first solo directorial debut he did rt after the success of ParaNorman in the studio I'll start regularly working in (as far as I know) now that the studio has been recently finished. Mike's going to help me put together an audio demo of my voice in different capacities inc. narration, movie commercial advertizing voice (I can do that better than anyone working professionally), character voice acting, and even a few impressions I do. But, I have to say, I'm not as knowledgeable on how to go about doing the actual sound for an Audio Book, although I'm very interested myself in knowing AND I'm 100% positive we have the capability of putting together that type of audio recording in our professional studio which incorporates the same console used by many famous bands and solo artists in the business. I've had a few authors enquire as to how my voice sounds but I guess I've been too timid to jump on any of the opportunities discussed. I am going to change that soon however!