destiny ♡⚔♡ [howling libraries]'s Reviews > The Demon in the Wood

#1 Shadow and Bone ★★★☆☆
#1.5 The Tailor ★★★★★
#2 Siege and Storm ★★★☆☆
#3 Ruin and Rising ★★★★☆

This story is marked as #0.1, and it is certainly a prequel story, but I'm not sure if it would've had half as much impact on me, had I read it before finishing Ruin and Rising. On its own, this is a sad, haunting story about a sweet little boy, on the run with his mother, seeking sanctuary and finding none.

After finishing the main trilogy, however, this story becomes so much more: it's a story of how the Darkling came to be, the moment of his villain origin story's beginning. It puts weight on why his name is so closely guarded (and why it means so much to him in Ruin), on how far his relationship with his mother came over the years (or should I say, how far it fell), and on why he so desperately wanted to create a safe world for the Grisha.

Where Ruin at times damaged his character arc for me, this story repaired some of that, and made me love the Darkling a little bit again. I enjoyed this short tremendously, and for the first time in a while, (view spoiler)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Demon in the Wood.

April 18, 2017 – Shelved
April 18, 2017 – Shelved as: to-read
March 29, 2018 – Started Reading
March 29, 2018 – Finished Reading
October 11, 2018 – Shelved as: young-adult
October 11, 2018 – Shelved as: shorts-and-novellas
October 11, 2018 – Shelved as: fantasy

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)

Azrah Hey destiny! I'm about to start the grisha trilogy. In your opinion do you think I should read this story before I read Shadow and Bone or after?

destiny ♡⚔♡ [howling libraries] Azrah wrote: "Hey destiny! I'm about to start the grisha trilogy. In your opinion do you think I should read this story before I read Shadow and Bone or after?"

Hey Azrah! You could read it before and it wouldn't be a spoiler, but I actually recommend saving it for after the entire trilogy, because I feel like it would have the most emotional impact that way, personally. :) Any time would be fine, though!

Azrah Thank you! I just wanted to make sure I get the full Grisha experience 😁

destiny ♡⚔♡ [howling libraries] Azrah wrote: "Thank you! I just wanted to make sure I get the full Grisha experience 😁"

You're welcome! Enjoy! <3