Renee's Reviews > Adnan's Story: The Search for Truth and Justice After Serial

Adnan's Story by Rabia Chaudry

The first season of Serial captivated the nation with Adnan's story, but it didn't tell us everything. After Serial came Undisclosed and Bob Ruff's podcast, further illuminating this interesting case. Adnan Sayed was convicted of killing his girlfriend, Hae Lee, in January 1999, when both were high school seniors.

Except the evidence doesn't really point to Adnan as the killer.

I'd recommend listening to at least Serial season 1 before reading this book, but even better if you also listen to Rabia's (the author) podcast, Undisclosed. Rabia is a longtime friend of Adnan and his family. If you listened to Undisclosed, a lot of the info will sound familiar, but there's more behind-the-scenes info.

Like many others, I've been fascinated by this case. I believe that Adnan was wrongfully convicted by a system that played against him. At the very least, there was not evidence beyond a reasonable doubt to convict him. I listened to this one on audiobook, read by the author, which made it feel like one really long episode of her podcast, Undisclosed (this isn't a bad thing). From detectives leading witnesses to shady investigations, and a complete failure to investigate important details (DNA evidence?) to Adnan's lawyer's complete failure to do her job, this book covers everything. If this case is interesting to you, you won't be disappointed. I only gave it 4 stars because in some places I felt like it was just beating the info to death since I'd heard it in Serial, Undisclosed, and Bob Ruff's podcast. But I also understand why it needed to be included.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Adnan's Story.

Started Reading