Aleksandra's Reviews > Last Call at the Nightshade Lounge

Last Call at the Nightshade Lounge by Paul   Krueger

Last Call at the Nightshade Lounge is fast-paced action-packed adult urban fantasy standalone about bartenders fighting demons on the streets of Chicago. I had the best of times reading the book. It has great humor and the writing is so very enjoyable, as the characters, the plot and the concept.

The main character Bailey Chen is Chinese-American UPenn graduate who comes back home to Chicago and starts working at the bar of her high school best friend Zane. By accident she creates a magical alcoholic cocktail, kills a demon (the demons are called tremens here). She discovers that for centuries a secret society of bartenders has existed. They are able to gain super powers like invisibility, superstrength etc, by drinking special alcoholic cocktails made with exactly right ingredients. Bailey Chen joins them as an apprentice and the adventures, fights, conspiracies ensue. With lots of drinking.

I loved the magical system of the world. It's definitely something new! Also it's a rare thing for me to read adult standalone urban fantasy. I loved this book so much.

Every other chapter has a recipe for making a cocktail mentioned in the chapter before, with funny notes about the history of bartending.

I loved the casual diversity of the story. The cast of characters is delightfully diverse. There is blind gay older man, transgender Canadian guy, mysterious kickass black woman with dreadlocks, also a secondary character is a sapphic lady. All of them are well-written complex characters with bright personalities.

I think the only thing that annoyed me a little bit is romantic subplot or rather it's a subsubplot. Romance is definitely not the most important thing in the story, but I wish it wasn't there at all. Or at least it didn't end like it did.

All in all, Paul Krueger has written a marvelous humorous exciting book about kickass bartenders and I highly highly recommend. Don't miss out on reading it!

TW for alcohol consumption.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Last Call at the Nightshade Lounge.

April 18, 2017 – Shelved
April 18, 2017 – Shelved as: to-read
August 7, 2017 – Started Reading
page 17
5.9% "hot dAMN this is good!!!"
page 62
21.53% "so basically by drinking special alcoholic cocktails these bartenders gain superpowers and hunt demons & protect people in Chicago. This is lit!

Bailey Chen is a rockstar. I love her.

I didn't know I needed Adult(New Adult?) urban fantasy about cool bartenders. The idea is awesome and the writing is great and humorous, the cast of characters is great too!"
page 95
32.99% "Very very good"
August 8, 2017 –
page 184
63.89% "So I've talked about who much I love the concept and the writing. Let's talk about diversity. MC is UPenn graduate Chinese-Am, she works with gay blind older guy, Canadian transgender guy and mysterious kickass black woman. Also there's her high school best friend and some romantic tension. As a sub-sub-plot.

The story is action-packed and I've just read on the most epic fighting scene ever!"
August 8, 2017 –
page 245
85.07% "It's gotten very intense very quickly"
August 9, 2017 – Finished Reading