K.S. Marsden's Reviews > What Lurks Below

What Lurks Below by Donald Firesmith

Geologist Jack is invited to investigate some mysterious holes, with the rest of his team. What these experts are about to witness is beyond any imagination.

I received a free copy in exchange for an honest review.

This book is a written account from Jack Oswald - a survivor and first-hand witness of the day the Hellholes unleashed... hell.
Jack is a geology professor, and as such his story is very science-based. This is awesome for fellow geeks like me; it's rare that you get a fictional book that portrays science and blends it with the high-fantasy of demons.
The downside is that the story has a neutral and observatory feel about it. There are a lot of detailed descriptions over buildings, paths, potential issues and things I hadn't even thought to think of. The setting is laid out in full, to allow the characters to run through it later. Which can be a positive or negative, depending on your point of view.
Personally, I would have liked to have seen the descriptions worked into more natural conversations, queries, or Jack's curiosity. I felt that some sections slowed the narrative, because it was preemptively filling any plotholes and covering as many bases as possible, before moving onto the action.

The action was actually great, I really loved it. The demons that come out of the hellholes are monsters lurking in the shadows, building tension on where and when they are going to strike.
They are violent and unforgiving beasts, and you can believe there is an oncoming apocalypse.

The rest of the characters were alright. My favourite was easily Aileen O'Shannon, she's a woman on her own mission and as much as you know she is on your side, she's also very unpredictable and lacks some humanity. But after what she's seen and done in her long life, it's not hard to believe that she would quickly discount those dead or dying.
The others lacked any real distinction. They all seemed to merge into one and were all very agreeable to every suggestion. There was no humour, no annoyances, nothing that made them stand out. You could tell that the focus of this story was on the science and the demon attack.

What Lurks Below is a relatively short story, but ends with a bang.
Definitely a cliff-hanger, but I found it a good one, how it was all nice and normal, and then dropped a hint before ending.
Overall, this was about 3.5 out of 5 for me, and I look forward to the next part of the series.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read What Lurks Below.

April 18, 2017 – Started Reading