Lisa's Reviews > Elsewhere

Elsewhere by Richard Russo

May 03, 2017

bookshelves: non-fiction, botm-reads, botm-suggestions, evans-family-book-club-suggestions

★★★ and a 1/2

This was for a book club. You always end up reading something good when you read something from a book club led by a librarian.

This was no exception. I usually don't go for memoirs and biographies, but this author did an excellent job writing this story about his mother, and the relationship he had with her. The story pulled me in from the beginning with an excellent writing style.

That's really what makes this book good: the writing style. There's nothing extraordinary that happens in this story; it's simply a tale of a normal family. Anyone reading this book would be able to relate to at least one aspect of Richard's family, or know someone who does. But because Richard Russo writes the story so well, the whole thing becomes immensely interesting, and you end up finishing this book on the plane on the way to San Diego.

Overall, I was pleasantly surprised by this read. I've never read a Richard Russo book before, and I definitely plan on reading some of his other works. Strongly recommended.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Elsewhere.

April 18, 2017 – Started Reading