Tere Fredericks's Reviews > Chameleons: A Novel Based Upon Actual Events

Chameleons by Marcus A. Nannini

20909438

bookshelves: action, adventure, favorites, highly-recommended, historical, read-again, war-stories

Although I am female, I am fascinated by the events at Pearl Harbor. When I saw this book was available at Kindle Unlimited, I grabbed it. I will look for more of Mr. Nannini’s books, believe me!

A body is found on a beach on Oahu, Hawai’i. Contained within the grave is a box and a gun used by the United States army prior to 1940. Unbeknownst to those who investigated this finding, a sword was also found, but taken by the owner of the property where the grave was located. The admiral of the naval base near where the body is located believes the body belongs to a Japanese naval officer from a minisub, responsible for the real reason the U.S.S. Oklahoma “turned turtle.”

Once the box found with the body is opened, a logbook is found inside. A naval officer who is already involved in the investigation translates the book.

As a side story, an old man whose name is Ken, starts telling his grandson about his “first life.” This is extremely fascinating as it may explain how World War II was looked at from the Japanese point of view, but also how minisubs came to be part of the Japanese navy’s arsenal.

As an aside, during parts of the story, although where the Americans got their beer, it was interesting that the Japanese just found their sake. Just an observation.

As the navy tries to quietly discover whose bones have been found, they are betrayed. A local newspaper offers a huge reward for the same information the navy is trying to uncover.

The detail of the atmosphere inside a Japanese minsub during the war is fascinating.

Reading about the Nisei who joined the United States Army from their forced “protection” from a Japanese point of view is incredible. Most joined to fight the Germans, this is how they were recruited. However, it was not always the Germans they fought against.

Descriptive sentences and paragraphs used completely thorough out the book made up for some typographical errors. Those were slight enough to be read through, although I did note some. I’m sure there will be many in this review.

This book, from a Japanese viewpoint, from Hawai’i to Korea and back to Hawai’i, was riveting. Some of the war scenes were enough to keep my fingers gripping my seat, literally. You will not see the ending coming, it is a total surprise.

In a nutshell, if you like historical war fiction, this is definitely for you. The fact that it is definitely based on true events is proven by the pictures in the back of the book. There is enough here to make you wonder what exactly is fiction and what is not.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Chameleons.

April 18, 2017 – Started Reading