Marine's Books's Reviews > Remember Yesterday

Remember Yesterday by Pintip Dunn

Apr 26, 2017

First, I’d really like to thank Lumen, the French publisher, for sending me this review copy. I had absolutely loved the first book of this dystopian trilogy and I just couldn’t wait to read this second book. For those who haven’t read my review of the first book, this is about a futuristic society in which your life depends on a memory you receive when you turn 17 and which is sent by your future self. By the way, if you wish to, you can read my full review there. In the first book, the technology to send memory hadn’t been discovered yet and only existed in the future. After a terrible image of what the society would become after the invention of the future memory, Callie, the protagonist, took some drastic measures to stop the research and avoid this invention. The book had ended on a sad note and I was speechless about that unexpected ending.

I had kept hope for things to get better in this second book but the story is told ten years later from Jessa’s point of view (she was Callie’s six-year-old sister in book 1). This means you understand right away that things really did end as you think they do in the first book. After I went past this, I let myself in the story of this new protagonist and her best friend Ryder but also of her enemy Tanner who turned out to be a much more complex and sensitive character than he seemed to be at first. Overall, I thought that Jessa was a more likeable character than Callie, with her strengths and weaknesses, her fears and her doubts and her own fights. In short, she is a rather different character than her sister.

I also thought that the plot was less predictable than it was in the first book, particularly on the last part of the story which was full of good surprises. The only thing that I wasn’t too happy about was the fact that there are fewer details about how the society is than there was in the first book. In any case, even though I was a bit lost at the beginning because I had read the first book a while ago, I really got quickly into the story of this novel which has been thrilling and addictive from the very first chapters.

I absolutely loved traveling through time and understanding how much the future is already set and how everything comes together. Even the slightest change can change thousands of lives. It’s the whole theory that the flutter of a butterfly’s wings can cause a hurricane on the other side of the planet that is used in this novel. I had loved how memories and the future were dealt with in the first book and I enjoyed it even more in this one.

The story hadn’t left my mind since I had read it and, despite the fact that I love reading new releases, I also realize that the series I remember best are the ones I read in one go. I find it difficult having to wait more than a year between two books because you forget so many things, especially supporting characters or some references that the author doesn’t explain again. I mean, I might have enjoyed this book even more if I had read it right after the first one. I thought it was a little less good than the first one which had turned into a new favorite even though it is a brilliant read.

I was convinced by the character of Chairman Dresden once again, this evil president who rules this dystopian society with an iron hand. I really hope we will get to see more of her in the last book of the trilogy because she seems to hide quite a few things. Given who is set to be the protagonist of book 3, I think that the author is planning on going more in depth with this character and I just can’t wait for it.

The ending is not nearly as shocking as the first book’s but it is still a good cliffhanger and, of course, I am really excited about the last book of the trilogy which will only be released in October and I’ll have to wait a bit more for the French version. I also noticed that there is a prequel of the story but it doesn’t seem to have been published in France so I’ll probably read it in English while waiting for the last book of this thrilling trilogy, which I hope will be a perfect conclusion.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Remember Yesterday.

December 17, 2016 – Shelved (Hardcover Edition)
December 17, 2016 – Shelved as: to-read (Hardcover Edition)
April 18, 2017 – Started Reading