Lisa's Reviews > Shades of Milk and Honey

Shades of Milk and Honey by Mary Robinette Kowal

Review from Tenacious Reader: http://www.tenaciousreader.com/2017/0...

Shades of Milk and Honey is a wonderful regency romance with just enough magic (or glamour) to add an extra layer of enchantment for the reader. For anyone who enjoys Jane Austen, I highly recommend this one. While the story is enjoyable, I also feel like this is a style of book where you just enjoy how it is told, and immersing yourself in the world and time period.

The main protagonist, Jane, is not a stunning beauty, but she does have an extraordinary ability to weave glamours (illusions). While she is past the normal marrying age and resigned to be spinster (her word, not mine), you also know that she will not lead a boring life. She has a passion for what she does, and a personality that can thrive with independence.

The book is full of potential romances. Jane’s sister, Melody, is as beautiful as Jane is not and several potential romances seem to be blooming. Melody may be beautiful, but her ability with glamour is not very strong. Being able to work glamours is a skill that is well regarded, and some may even consider essential, for ladies of the time. They use it to adorn their home, create flowers or patterns where there are none, create colors to go with music, illusions to make the home more beautiful.

Trying to determine the true motivations of all the characters and what their end goals might be is part of the fun. Overall, I just really enjoyed this one. It was a wonderful change of pace for me, and hit the spot perfectly. I wanted something lovely and fun, and was avoiding the darkness that I so typically seek out in books. It delivered everything I was looking for and to be honest, as soon as I finished it, I went straight into the next in series. Always a good sign.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Shades of Milk and Honey.

April 17, 2017 – Started Reading