Robin's Reviews > The Woman in the Window

The Woman in the Window by A.J. Finn

bookshelves: 2018-pub, psychological-suspense, best-of-2018

When this comes out in January 2018, get a copy and clear the decks. It's a barn burner and reads like a house afire. Definitely one of the best psychological suspense novels I've read in quite a while.

Update:
Since GONE GIRL was published, a torrent of psychological suspense novels have emerged, including THE GIRL ON THE TRAIN. And it is pretty much a given that any new novel in this genre will be compared to these two titles. Until January 2018. The "girls" have grown up and after this book is published, successive psychological/suspense titles will be compared to WOMAN IN THE WINDOW. That's my prediction anyway.

And why is this so good? It literally keeps you on the edge of the couch and if you start it before bedtime, you will be up all night rapidly turning the pages to find out what happens to this agoraphobic woman who constantly watches the neighbors through their bare windows and witnesses what appears to be a murder. But was it? She insists "I know what I saw!" But did she?

And yes, it sounds very familiar, very Rear Window-ish, and it is. But it's quite different and wonderful, and oh-so-well developed. You will ache for theh main character and others who befriend her. And you will thirst for a nice bottle of merlot wine.

After finishing this book with an ending that leaves you gobsmacked, you will never be tempted to spy on the neighbors and you will also want to keep those blinds closed.

The pacing and clever ending reminded me of Peters Swanson's excellent The Kind Worth Killing, and the breathless pace and uncertain mental state of the main character made me think of B. A. Paris' The Breakdown.

A huge thanks to HarperCollins publisher who provided me with an advance reading copy.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Woman in the Window.

April 17, 2017 – Shelved
April 17, 2017 – Shelved as: to-read
April 17, 2017 – Shelved as: 2018-pub
April 17, 2017 – Shelved as: psychological-suspense
May 2, 2017 – Started Reading
May 7, 2017 – Finished Reading
November 8, 2018 – Shelved as: best-of-2018

Comments Showing 1-24 of 24 (24 new)

message 1: by Carol (new)

Carol This one is popping up all over. I'm in.

Jamie I have so many I'm currently trying to get through but it seems like I should stop everything and read this now...twist my arm!!

Robin Jamie wrote: "I have so many I'm currently trying to get through but it seems like I should stop everything and read this now...twist my arm!!"

If you have a galley or digital galley - TWISTING!

message 4: by Roxanne (new) - added it

Roxanne How did you get a copy of this to read?

Vanessa You sold me! Can't wait.

message 6: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl Great review, Robin!

Robin Roxanne wrote: "How did you get a copy of this to read?"
Received a very early copy from publisher so I could read it before attending the Book Expo last week. It was the hot book of the show.

Jill Hutchinson Sounds like it is worth waiting for. Thanks for the heads up, Robin.

Robin Jill wrote: "Sounds like it is worth waiting for. Thanks for the heads up, Robin."

Oh it is, it is!

message 10: by Jill (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jill Robin, you know I'm selective in the thrillers I read, but I DID love Gone Girl and wowza, this one has my antennae way up. Definitely going to keep my eyes peeled for this one.

Robin It's always difficult to gauge how thrillers are going to resonate or be accepted by readers but so far no one has not liked this. Lowest rating I've seen from friends is 4, with many being 5. And for the record, the author told me he doesn't mind if readers figure out two of the three twists.

message 12: by Mary (new) - added it

Mary Bechtod Another Rear Window? Sounds great! XO 😃💚💜💙💛❤😄😃😁

Robin Mary wrote: "Another Rear Window? Sounds great! XO 😃💚💜💙💛❤😄😃😁"

And it's really gooood... The protagonist (and author) is a huge fan of noir films and the atmosphere of the novel is very much in that realm.

Jamie Robin, I commented three months ago on this status when I first got my galley. I just read your update and now I'm wondering why I waited all this time! I'm traveling tomorrow and figuring out what I want to read on the plane. Thanks to your review, I've decided!!!!

message 15: by Svetlana (new)

Svetlana you have written an excellent review Robin, sold it me! it's added to my tbr

Robin Jamie wrote: "Robin, I commented three months ago on this status when I first got my galley. I just read your update and now I'm wondering why I waited all this time! I'm traveling tomorrow and figuring out what..."

And did you get it read?

Robin Svetlana wrote: "you have written an excellent review Robin, sold it me! it's added to my tbr"

My job here is done. :-)

Dennis Great review, Robin! This is at the top of my wishlist and I can't wait to get my hands on it. You're review just gets me more excited!!

message 19: by Michele (new) - added it

Michele Harrod Ohhh, I have that tingling sense of ‘book anticipation’ like I haven’t felt in a long while!! ❤️❤️❤️ WANT!!!

Alexandra okay your review has convinced me to RE-request this from the library. i had it on hold for the past few days but then hemmed and hawed over it and then took it off my list. now i'm pissed i lost my spot in line lmaoo
just tell me one thing though, it's not super gory is it? i don't like novels like that

message 21: by Robin (last edited Jan 14, 2018 05:42PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Robin Not gory at all. 😊

Robin Alexandra wrote: "okay your review has convinced me to RE-request this from the library. i had it on hold for the past few days but then hemmed and hawed over it and then took it off my list. now i'm pissed i lost m..."

Thanks. I consider this a high compliment and appreciate your feedback. I'm sorry about the lost hold place!

Alexandra haha it's okay. my tbr pile is overwhelming right now, so at least i'll have plenty to keep me busy while i wait for it to come in 😊

JennE Great review. Coincidentally, I finished The Breakdown and started Woman at the Window in the same day and noticed the similarities.