Pat Loughery's Reviews > Matterhorn: A Novel of the Vietnam War

Matterhorn by Karl Marlantes

2319365
Aug 11, 2011

bookshelves: novel, historical-fiction

I just found my favorite book of 2012.

In high school and a few years after, I devoured everything I could about the Vietnam era - politics, peace movement, protesters, military women and men. I don't recall reading anything (except perhaps for Chickenhawk) which was as engaging as Matterhorn is. And Matterhorn is told much more carefully and deeply than anything I've read on that subject.

Marlantes writes his novel as an insider. It's painfully clear that the stories he tells are not fiction, only novelized. He tackles deep issues - race, class, life and death, the folly of war and the deep heroism of warriors.

This one will stay with me for a very long time. I recommend it highly to anybody who loves historical fiction, a good novel, or stories of the heights and depths of humanity.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Matterhorn.

August 11, 2011 – Shelved
March 25, 2012 – Started Reading
March 25, 2012 – Shelved as: novel
March 25, 2012 – Shelved as: historical-fiction
page 13
page 41
6.41% "Best chapter 1 that I've read in a long, long time. This is going to be a powerful book."
page 76
March 26, 2012 –
page 118
March 27, 2012 –
page 197
30.78% "I so love this book. It's very well written and is clearly the work of somebody who was there, and who has thought carefully about the complex stories involved."
March 27, 2012 –
page 249
38.91% "So now I'm finding a few minutes here, a few minutes there to sneak time to read more."
March 28, 2012 –