Ira's Reviews > The Fortune Hunter

The Fortune Hunter by Diane Farr

Jul 02, 2017

bookshelves: historical

This is story about a guy who need to marry a heiress so he can have money to finance his bankrupt family estate and business.

description

Of course everything is not as easy as he plan, especially when the girl is beautiful, independent and smart too:)

description

He was falling in love instead, where the lady knew from the start he was only wanted her money. To be fair he wasn't a bad guy, the badly needed money has gone before his time..

“Forgive me,” he said hoarsely. “I’ve been shallow and blind and selfish. I’ve lived in darkness for so many years, my dear, that when the sun finally shone on me I hadn’t the wit to recognize it.”

description

“Don’t you know, my darling girl, that you are the only breath of air my sorry, stale heart has ever breathed? I was a dead thing until I met you.” His fingers moved achingly, caressingly, to cup her cheeks. “For God’s sake, Ivy, don’t send me back there,” he whispered. “Don’t condemn me to a wasted life.”

description

I really like it but if there is something I want to complaint about this story, the hero is too nice for a rake and we don't see any bad thing of his rake's life at all, see? For my cynical heart I really wanted him to be bad! So I believe more with his 'fallen hard for her' part.

But still a lovely lovely romance and made you smile while reading it:)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Fortune Hunter.

April 17, 2017 – Shelved
April 17, 2017 – Shelved as: to-read
June 30, 2017 – Started Reading
page 13
page 71
page 71
July 1, 2017 –
page 126
35.8% "Pinned by those silver eyes of hers, it struck him in a flash that the rock-bottom truth was, he was her enemy.

He meant to harm her. He liked her, he respected her, and he felt strongly attracted to her—but he would steal from her if he could. First her heart, and then her fortune. He had not thought of it in such bald terms until this very moment."
July 2, 2017 – Shelved as: historical
July 2, 2017 – Finished Reading

message 1: by Bubu (new) - added it

Bubu Fabulous review, Ira :)

Sadly, the so-called rakes turn out rather tame, don't they ;)

message 2: by Ira (last edited Jul 02, 2017 06:08AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ira Bubu wrote: "Fabulous review, Ira :)

Sadly, the so-called rakes turn out rather tame, don't they ;)"

Thank you sweetie!:)

Yes they are very difficult to find lately or else they just some mean spirit sad excuse for a hero. Oh well:)

Lyuda Great review, Ira! I loved the hero- sexy, witty, charming. I can see why you would be little disappointed - he's definitely not a rake in a true sense of that word. I don't think you will find them really in trad regency. The only one I can think of is The Duke's Wager. I'm glad you enjoyed the story rake or not :)

message 4: by Ira (last edited Jul 02, 2017 06:14AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ira Lyuda wrote: "Great review, Ira! I loved the hero- sexy, witty, charming. I can see why you would be little disappointed - he's definitely not a rake in a true sense of that word. I don't think you will find the..."

Yes I enjoyed this book very much!:)
I love sweet hero and is nice to read that type of hero too.
It just our hero here is supposed to be a rake and he was too nice to being one. Lol.

Thank you, I put The Duke's Wager on my TBR list, he really bad, doesn't he? *grins*

message 5: by Mou (new) - added it

Mou Excellent Review !!!

Lyuda Ira wrote: "Lyuda wrote: "Great review, Ira! I loved the hero- sexy, witty, charming. I can see why you would be little disappointed - he's definitely not a rake in a true sense of that word. I don't think you..."
Is he really bad? Of course:) In The Duke's Wager you get actually two rakes for the price of one. No, it's not a love triangle where the heroine or the hero pining for one while their true love is on the sidelines (hate these tropes). You have an innocent soul being persuaded by lion and hyena so to speak. And she ends up a winner. Very good story with engaging plot, writing and not black-and-white characterization. Oh, you make me want to reread it again:)

message 7: by Mou (new) - added it

Mou Lyuda wrote: "Ira wrote: "Lyuda wrote: "Great review, Ira! I loved the hero- sexy, witty, charming. I can see why you would be little disappointed - he's definitely not a rake in a true sense of that word. I don..."

I agree with you, Ira's review is soo good that I want to read it.

message 8: by Bubu (new) - added it

Bubu Lyuda, a proper rake? Which books can you think of?

Not too dark to be called anti-hero, though they are my favourites, but rakish enough? Theo from A Lady Awakened comes to my mind and Sebastian from Devil in Winter. Who else?

Ira, try an excerpt of The Improper Bride by Lily Maxton. The hero is, however, quite an anti-hero and the story is a little darker. And he was the villain of the previous book which I hadn't read. Lyuda and I did a buddy-read of The Improper Bride .

If only more HR's were written like that one....

message 9: by Mou (new) - added it

Mou Bubu wrote: "Lyuda, a proper rake? Which books can you think of?

I read Devil in Winter. And I enjoyed it very much. He is a true Rake.

message 10: by Ira (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ira Mou wrote: "Excellent Review !!!"

message 11: by Ira (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ira Lyuda wrote: "Ira wrote: "Lyuda wrote: "Great review, Ira! I loved the hero- sexy, witty, charming. I can see why you would be little disappointed - he's definitely not a rake in a true sense of that word. I don..."

I'm up for this one next Lyuda or fallen angel first you think?

message 12: by Ira (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ira Mou wrote: "Lyuda wrote: "Ira wrote: "Lyuda wrote: "Great review, Ira! I loved the hero- sexy, witty, charming. I can see why you would be little disappointed - he's definitely not a rake in a true sense of th..."

I think you will love it too Mou 😘

message 13: by Ira (last edited Jul 02, 2017 10:56AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ira Bubu wrote: "Lyuda, a proper rake? Which books can you think of?

I luvvre Sebastian too!:)

I already download A Lady Awakened's audiobook on Scribd, The Improper Bride sounds interesting, on my TBR list too now, thanks Bubu:)

Lyuda Bubu wrote: "Lyuda, a proper rake? Which books can you think of?

A proper rake? Hmm, really hard question because it's the most overused and abused hero's characterization in HR. It's understandable as it gives authors an opportunity to reform him :) See I don't think the heroes such as in Devil in Winter or A Lady Awakened are rakes. They are not an unrepentant, whoring predators but rather just adorably naughty and boyishly charming men. I know you don't read traditional regency but the one I mentioned to Ira The Duke's Wager would fit rake's category, imho. The book you mentioned, The Improper Bride, would be one as well.

message 15: by Lyuda (last edited Jul 02, 2017 09:12AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lyuda Ira wrote: "Lyuda wrote: "Ira wrote: "Lyuda wrote: "Great review, Ira! I loved the hero- sexy, witty, charming. I can see why you would be little disappointed - he's definitely not a rake in a true sense of th..."
I'll vote for Fallen Angel :)

message 16: by Ira (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ira Lyuda wrote: "Ira wrote: "Lyuda wrote: "Ira wrote: "Lyuda wrote: "Great review, Ira! I loved the hero- sexy, witty, charming. I can see why you would be little disappointed - he's definitely not a rake in a true..."

Excellent!
Just one-clicked:)

message 17: by Diane (new) - added it

Diane Farr If you want to see Lord Rival's wicked side, you will have to spot him in one of my books set prior to The Fortune Hunter ... he is very bad indeed in Duel of Hearts, although he has only a "cameo" in that book, and as for Falling for Chloe -- well! There's no excuse for him. Tsk. Although the events that happen in Falling for Chloe are what lead him to the opening scene of The Fortune Hunter.

So if you only read The Fortune Hunter, you catch him at the moment where he decides he must change his ways!

I'm very glad you liked the book. I'm fond of Lord Rival myself. :)

message 18: by Ira (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ira Diane wrote: "If you want to see Lord Rival's wicked side, you will have to spot him in one of my books set prior to The Fortune Hunter ... he is very bad indeed in Duel of Hearts, although he has only a "cameo"..."

Oh, WOW:))
Thank you so much for kindly comments in my review Diane, I'm speechless and feels so happy and giddy:) 😍😊

Yes, I loves Lord Rival very much, he even made me write a review with those pretty pics:))

I didn't know about Duel of Hearts but one of my friends recommended Falling for Chloe and I certainly will check more about him in those books!:)