Mark's Reviews > The Death and Life of the Great Lakes

The Death and Life of the Great Lakes by Dan Egan

bookshelves: audiobooks

Okay, what do Asian carp, sea lamprey, homo sapiens, zebra mussels and climate change have in common? They are all destroying the mighty Great Lakes. Ouch! The five Great Lakes are one of the true wonders of the world, but we are continuously throwing wicked curve balls at this amazing water system. A system we all take for granted, much like our great oceans.
Dan Egan, a prize winning journalist, lays it all out here: the history, the canal systems, the invasive species, the various battles, which include the losses and recoveries and finally what can be done to restore and revitalize these national treasures.
Egan is a fine writer and his narrative flow, is smart and informative. At first, I thought this might be just a grim, painful look at the destruction of the Great Lakes, but Egan balances it out with some humor and a surprising amount of hope. Highly recommended. 4.5 stars

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Death and Life of the Great Lakes.

April 16, 2017 – Shelved
April 16, 2017 – Shelved as: to-read
May 10, 2017 – Started Reading
May 10, 2017 – Shelved as: audiobooks
May 13, 2017 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

message 1: by Jenna (new)

Jenna Mark, thanks for pointing out the humor and hope. That would have been my only hesitation in reading this...sometimes there is only so much bad news a person can take! And there is no shortage of it lately! I don't want to hide my head in the sand, but at the same time, a little humor and hope makes these things easier to face.

Mark It definitely helps with this book Jenna and the author remains, surprisingly hopeful.