Jamie's Reviews > The Mermaid's Daughter

The Mermaid's Daughter by Ann Claycomb

I don't think there are any spoilers in here but maybe the tone gives something away.

I truly loved this book. I did not find it abelist in the least even as someone with both chronic pain and depression; I found it logical to use the pain as the connection to the magic because she isn't crazy or making it up.

The characters are flawed and yet you love them. The stigma attached to mental health and chronic pain were both treated as they are in life. The author captured the music and opera as only someone who truly feels it could. The description of the main aria made me misty eyed. I felt both the sea and the power of the magic. I will have to find some of the recordings she references, simply because I want to experience them now. My only regret is not to have the opera to hear.

This book was exceptionally well done without the conventional or forced references. I never felt that the author was "showing off" or excessive in references to literature, music, opera, or pain. The settings, scenes, and connections were logical, natural, and understated. There weren't 5 pages on the description of the music room or the feel of a cloth. The plot moves along briskly but is not what I expected. I won't give away the ending but I will say I changed my predictions 3 or 4 times.

Excuse me while I make another cup of tea and listen to some opera. Highly recommend this book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Mermaid's Daughter.

April 14, 2017 – Started Reading