Jofer Serapio's Reviews > Philippine Speculative Fiction VI

Philippine Speculative Fiction VI by Nikki Alfar

Aug 11, 2011

bookshelves: reviewed

Before I start with my review, I would like to clear some things out of my chest. I, as a writer, actually auditioned my short story, Sunshine on the Skin , to be a part of this anthology but was dutifully rejected by the editors. They said the dialogue was unbelievable, fantastical even, and I accepted their judgment with neither anger nor pain.

Now that that's out of the way, I must say that the book was, at the very least, very enjoyable for my literary palate. While almost all the stories here are amazing enough to indulge every reader, I have my select favorites, which include Kenneth Yu's The Kiddie Pool and Eliza Victoria's The Storyteller Curse. The variety of the anthology is just that, varied, too varied to make a review on it as a whole. You will inevitably remember most of the stories but you may forget how they came to be woven together in a single selection. This is my first PSF and, like for most first-timers, there is no doubt I will remember the whole thing. However, for most who have read the editions before this one, you may mix these new stories with the old stories and wrong their precise incarnations. I think if I've read the third edition, I might associate Maria Pia V. Benosa's Eternal Winter with it, even though it obviously is included in this sixth edition. But I can safely say that beyond all recognition, Elyss G. Punsalan's Ashland will be remembered in my head for a long, long time.

Speculative fiction is an umbrella category, which means it hosts more familiar subcategories under it like horror, science fiction, fantasy, superhero fiction, alternate history, and post-apocalyptic fiction. The anthology spans almost all of the fantastical fiction genres and with great gusto. The selections are no less than great with imaginative authors worthy of their accomplishments leading to this place in their individual histories. While some are definitely greater than others, you will not help but feel that it was a team effort in their part to make you proud to be a Filipino, excite you while you dabble in the genre, and entertain you as an intelligent leader no less.

For the record, Philippine Speculative Fiction VI deserves a place in anyone's bookshelf.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Philippine Speculative Fiction VI.

August 11, 2011 – Started Reading
August 11, 2011 – Shelved
August 11, 2011 –
page 13
6.47% "Pissed at everything right now but thankful for this anthology. At least I have something to feed the mind."
August 12, 2011 –
page 42
20.9% "This before an amazing despedida with my ABS-CBN family! Better things are to come!"
August 16, 2011 –
page 87
43.28% "Jogging later at UST and dinner with my "wife." This is an amazing week, despite the fact that PSF VI's editing is a little off for a copyeditor like myself."
August 16, 2011 –
page 99
49.25% "Day turning out worse than expected. After lunch, do chores, then relax with another hot cup of coffee. Repeat."
August 18, 2011 –
page 110
54.73% "UP later with Val. A little excited for December. <3"
August 19, 2011 –
page 130
64.68% "At this point, speculative fiction is bringing me back to a project I've long abandoned. It did sound good. Maybe it still does."
August 19, 2011 –
page 143
71.14% ""To read well is to master the ages.""
August 21, 2011 –
page 160
79.6% "With just three more stories left, I can safely say I love this anthology. Body count, anyone?"
August 24, 2011 –
page 184
91.54% "Certainly saved the best for last. Wonderful!"
August 24, 2011 – Finished Reading