Limonessa's Reviews > Pink

Pink by Lili Wilkinson

liked it
bookshelves: australian, chick-lit, fantasy, ya-lit

It all starts with a pink cashmere sweater.
That's what Ava wants to wear instead of her usual goth all-black attire. Because, you see, Ava is a lesbian and a feminist and does not wear pink. Or maybe she isn't. What is sure is that Ava is in the middle of a crisis, with her girlfriend, with her beliefs, with her sexual orientation.
By applying to a posh private school, she hopes to get a fresh start and be able to experiment being someone else from whom she is usually expected to be.
Things don't work out exactly as Ava expected though, and soon enough she is caught in a spiral of lies, betrayals and humiliations which she will have a hard time disentangling herself from.
Will Ava eventually find her true self?

There is one specific reason why I thought this book was just above ok but could not completely like it: it really, really goes against who I am.

I do NOT like parents (Ava's) who, under a faux intelligentsia liberalism, really mask their snobbish, compartmentalized elitism and constrict their children in this overachieving, supposedly progressive but really just... discriminating lifestyle.

I do NOT like supposedly emancipated lesbian bitches girlfriends (Chloe) who want to stand out so much from the flock, that they fall right back into it as a caricature.

Most of all I do not like a spineless MC, who not only is close to being devoid of personality - actually a natural result of being subjected to the pressure of my two above-mentioned dislikes - but who is unable to stand up for herself and needs to lie, hurt other people and just be hypocritical for a good part of the book.

Much less do I like to read about them.

These were my biggest problems with Pink.

Add to that the fact that the school Ava decides to move to is really a joke, populated by these unrealistically clichéd students such as Ethan and Alexis OR that I found the turn of events with Alexis and the moviethon fairly unbelievable and you got yourself the explanation for my rating.

What I did like though was the writing, smooth and effortless, and some of the characters, namely the Screws, who were the most likable and the most believable, in my opinion.
The dialogues between Ava and Sam were pretty brilliant and I liked Sam quite a lot. Actually, part of my enjoyment started when Ava's castle of lies began to miserably crash and, end in end, she got a - partial - redemption. In fact, I quite liked her closing speech. But it was way, way too late for me to take back my general annoyance.
I don't know if the author made all the characters purposefully so unlikable in order to build a climax and then give us a long-agonized happy ending, but if it is so, it was too stretched and too... agonized, for me at least.

But you know what? In retrospect, I should have known it wouldn't work for me. When I read the dedication at the beginning of the book to David Levithan and then the author pulls a musical in the plot, I should have suspected.

Book, are you Australian? Because I really didn't notice.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Pink.

August 11, 2011 – Shelved
September 8, 2011 – Started Reading
September 9, 2011 –
page 120
September 9, 2011 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-26 of 26 (26 new)

Maja (The Nocturnal Library) Damn you, mailman! Run, Forrest, run!

Limonessa how long is it going to take?
i checked and again they don't have this on kindle for us europeans. WHY, WHY do they do that?

Maja (The Nocturnal Library) Because they're idiots, mostly. It usually takes a week, but you never know. I'm just happy they have it in the first place, they usually don't have Aussies.
I found the paperback and it's not even expensive, it's less than 7€. Plus free delivery, of course.

Limonessa I saw! I think I'll get it too. I usually order from Amazon.co.uk but I need a 25£ order to get free delivery. It seems the Book Depository is more convenient in this case.

Maja (The Nocturnal Library) Book depository is always more convenient. You get free shipping regardless of your order AND the prices are pretty great.
Plus, they have that thingy on their home page which shows who's buying what all over the world. Try putting it on full screen. You will get mesmerized! :D
(I'm obviously bored out of my mind!)

Maja (The Nocturnal Library) Also, maybe we should slowly start with Finnikin, the time difference sort of sucks. Maybe just a little... :D

Maja (The Nocturnal Library) Everyone's talking to books these days. Says a lot about our mental health. :D

Limonessa You're the master though, YOU told me it was completely fine if I did.
BTW, can you see my review is kinda sweaty? Sorry, it was me after my first gym lesson today :D

Maja (The Nocturnal Library) Show off! :P
Sure I can, it's dripping all over the place. :D

Flannery I laughed at your last line. It's totally normal to talk to books. I think Sam is the redeeming feature of this book. Ava was so weak-willed...blah.

Wendy Darling You're so right about everything...and I laughed at your closing sentence. It's true, where is the BRILLIANCE? Not here for sure.

message 12: by Nomes (last edited Sep 12, 2011 04:04PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Nomes LOL @ this review. it is intense!

"But you know what? In retrospect, I should have known it wouldn't work for me. When I read the dedication at the beginning of the book to David Levithan and then the author pulls a musical in the plot, I should have suspected" oh i am the same. i do not mix with DL (at all) and musicals are not particularly my scene either.

interesting you did not notice an Aussie vibe. I probably didn;t either, not like in other Aussie novels which have that distinctly Australian vibe...) although, maybe there were changes in the US edition? (if that's the one you read)

Arlene Book, are you Australian? Because I really didn't notice.

LOL :)

Limonessa Nomes wrote: "LOL @ this review. it is intense!

Nomes, I hadn't thought about that and you're probably right. If that is the case, I strongly disagree with their choice.

Nomes I do know Cath Crowley, for instance, had to edit Graffiti Moon for US audience (which included some changes to terms/slang). Whereas if you girls are reading other Aussie books direct from our publishers, you're getting the raw naked Aussie vibe ;)

message 16: by [deleted user] (new)

Here's to the raw naked Aussie vibe *raises stubby*

oliviasbooks I do not understand why the Aussie slang has to be editted away anyhow. Even I - as a non-native speaker of English - have no problems to understand "raw" Australian fiction, or American, or British or whereever from.

message 18: by [deleted user] (new)

It's probably that same reason why they remake the office and cath and Kim etc...tho I'm unsure of that reason either...

Limonessa Nomes wrote: "I do know Cath Crowley, for instance, had to edit Graffiti Moon for US audience (which included some changes to terms/slang). Whereas if you girls are reading other Aussie books direct from our pub..."

I fortunately read Graffiti Moon unedited.
Next thing, they'll set The Kite Runner in Kentucky. Pfft.

message 20: by Janina (last edited Sep 13, 2011 04:32AM) (new)

Janina I think everything is best in its original version. And, I mean, it's not like Aussie "slang" is that hard to understand when you have the context. And there's always the internet to look things up. But I think, as a non-native speaker, I'm more used to not understanding every single word ...

One of my favourite books from back when I was younger (set in Sweden, by a Swedish author) has been completely re-written for the US market. They even changed the setting to a US city, I believe. Really a shame.

Nomes oh i do not get why they remake shows.

like BEING HUMAN which was just *perfect* as a British show (and entirely likeable/unique with it's Britishness) and the US version of the same show = cringe. They remade it and lost all the charm.

message 22: by [deleted user] (new)

I did not know they did that, gee whizz. I think it's a bit insulting to the US just assuming their people won't get it.

message 23: by Reynje (new)

Reynje They re-made Kath & Kim? O.o Wouldn't it lose everything that made it so awesome? I mean, the fun of that show was the fact that it was so Australian. Sigh...

Nomes the remake of kath and kim was a tragedy. more redneck than ocker. it was painful and (as you would expect) bombed out in the US

message 25: by Jo (new) - added it

Jo Sorry... late to the party here but

The US remade Being Human?!

:-S Oh my gosh. I did not know that!
I bet Mitchell wasn't as dishy. *grumbles*

They remade Skins aswell and that got slated.
*smug smile*

They showed Kath & Kim over here a few years back...I never watched it but it was the original.

Megan I 100% agree with your dislikes. I actually found the parts of the book containing interactions with Ava's parents, Chloe and some of the other side characters to be nearly unbearable to read. The only reason I finished the book is because of the witty dialogue with the Screws - so I guess you could say I finished the book in the hopes of learning more about them and I really didn't give 2 shits (pardon my French) about Ava! Lol

I'm glad I'm not the only one out there!!