_inbetween_'s Reviews > Hazard

Hazard by Jo Beverley

Apr 08, 2008

Recommended to _inbetween_ by: chatpa

Wanted to give it five stars for putting a smile on my face again towards the end, where most books flag. Am returning to sober four points, managing to find some fault - but that's mostly for wanting to know more about Race, needing more to see him, slim and delicately beautiful - soldier - librarian *g* I also once more wish for the woman not to be (suddenly, very) beautiful, but that is just the middle stretch. Otherwise this is exceptionally well-written, time and space given exactly to what and whom is needed - Heyer comparison this time justified - real obstacles, neither overdramatic nor ridiculous. Mainly though it's the couple, Anne with her crippled foot seducing him, compromising him - can a rare thing already be a trope? my trope? - and the being genuine fun and depth, even/especially in the (sigh, only) sex scene.

I chose this because it was NOT featuring one of the rogues, but of course it's still littered with characters in past and future books *sigh* so I want all of them now, despite hating the crossreferences that always spoil characters for me - even though I approve of showing how non-friends and lovers see the heroes, the muddying that goes on puts me off, and them being rakes in one book and not at all in the next annoys me, but that's a subject better written up in an essay (and then burned, because I know it's all about mone). Maybe I just have a knack of choosing the one novel that I'm bound to like as a first read? Whatever it is - it's not that I now want to know more about Tris, but that I hope to read more about Race, even being widely read enough to know I'll only be disappointed *pokes author*

The short "official" amazon review actually hit the nail on the head, saying there was a lack of emotional intensity between the characters (so it's not just me wanting another LoS), but an overall intelligence and well-drawn figures.

If you ignored my text ... really good book, really good romance, emotional and intellectual and physical need of couple obvious, satisfying like most romances aren't ( maybe I just wanted there to be more actual problems between H/H themselves, maybe ).

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hazard.

Started Reading