tENTATIVELY, cONVENIENCE's Reviews > The Possessors

The Possessors by John Christopher

liked it
bookshelves: sf

I cd've been as young as 10 or 11 when I read this. I was in an SF bk club & this is one of the bks I got thru that. It was probably pretty adult for me at the time. Looking at it now it seems more like a mystery or horror bk but I've filed it under SF. Christopher's an English writer, maybe this is close to some Ballard. Page 200:

""Men have recorded the abnormalities of themselves and their fellow humans since they learned how to scratch signs on papyrus. I don't know of anything that's anything like what's been happening here. That's why I called it unprecedented. We're faced with something that seems to use human intelligences, but is not human. If it had existed before on the earth, men would have encountered it."

"Elizabeth said, "Intelligence doesn't arise out of nothing. Are you saying that snow and ice have somehow acquired consciousness?""

All I remember of this, if one can even call it remembering, is a vague feeling of eerie foreboding - probably what the author was aiming for & something most likely to be effectual w/ an inexperienced young mind such as my own at the time.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Possessors.

Started Reading