C.G. Drews's Reviews > Children of Blood and Bone

Children of Blood and Bone by Tomi Adeyemi

bookshelves: epic-fantasy, read-2018, young-adult

Children of Blood And Bone is such a rich and excellently built fantasy world my opinion is just: WOW. I also feel like this book is most definitely mega-hyped but worth it, ohhh so worth it. The writing is stunning, but we just need to all sit down in a bucket and admire the world building. And the characters go from headstrong-little-stubborn-darlings-making-bad-decisions to headstrong-little-stubborn-darlings-making-bad-decisions-BUT-WITH-MAGIC-AND-EMOTIONS which is excellent development.

So the world building was definitely masterpiece here for me. I always get so disgruntled when fantasies presented half-baked worlds. NOT HERE. I also think it did a great job building the world as you go instead of info-dumps. Although there are a lot of characters (and I mean, like MORE THAN 3 which is intense omg hold me) so it took me a long time to get everyone straight. But this is coming from someone who also can’t remember their siblings names. So.

It actually has 3 POVs! We have Zélie, Amari, and Inan…and then are FABULOUS. Zélie is the headstrong magical child who was my absolute FAVOURITE for her character development, badassery, and raw emotion. Amari is the naive princess who ends up being super fierce. (Also she and Zélie fight a LOT because they’re enemies at the beginning…BUT THEN THEIR FRIENDSHIP IS SO POWERFUL AND EXCELLENT.) And Inan is the misguided prince who spends the whole book being an ass but then I felt bad for him. SO. INAN.

And the plot is all action and finding magical objects and running for your freaking life. As it should be in a fantasy. Basically these troubled threesome (along with Zélie’s brother Tzain) are trying to bring magic back but they’re also messy teens who make mistakes and I loved watching them grow!

OTHER THINGS TO LOVE
• epic female friendship that is actual goals
• the ending was an absolute riot of a ride
• mY heART GOT LOST WOW
• character development is A+
• lots of emphasis on glorious hair which is what I’m here for
• no one is ever what they seem
• slightly absolute dire need for the next book has hit me

Definitely one to keep your eyeballs on, people! It's a not-to-be-missed epic fantasy.

(Also I'm interviewing the author and giving away a copy of
the book here!!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Children of Blood and Bone.

April 14, 2017 – Shelved as: to-read
April 14, 2017 – Shelved
February 20, 2018 – Started Reading
February 20, 2018 –
page 40
7.62% "The world building is INCREDIBLE but so so dense and all I've been reading is contemporary lately so ahhh ahhhah hhah *buries self 12ft under the earth*"
February 25, 2018 –
page 80
15.24% "Me: I'm going to read so much of this tonight!
Me: [reads one chapter]
Me: [turns into a 94 year old granny apparently and falls asleep]"
February 28, 2018 – Shelved as: epic-fantasy
February 28, 2018 – Shelved as: read-2018
February 28, 2018 – Shelved as: young-adult
February 28, 2018 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)

Tandie I've had my eye on this one. That cover!

C.G. Drews I hope you get a chance to read it when it comes out!

AHHHHHH I don’t even know when I’m going to have the time to read this but hahaha my library decided to make this available for me yesterday so now I really want to read it because I don’t know how long it will take to get it if I place a hold now because there are a lot of holds.. so I’ll just somehow make time in my schedule by using dark magic or something, whatever gets the job done.

C.G. Drews @Ahhhh: Do read it! Totally worth it!!

message 5: by Devon (new)

Devon Munn This is already am anticipated release of mine, the cover is bomb af

message 6: by Sara (new) - added it

Sara I actually got to listen to the author speak in a panel discussion last weekend, which was awesome! I'm glad her book is as great as it sounded!!

empirestatebookshelf I just bought this on a whim because I can’t control myself in bookstore, I’m hoping I like it as much as you did!

C.G. Drews @Devon: YESSS it is!

@Sara: Omg that is amazing! She's already such an author star and this is just her debut!

@Empirestatebookshelf: AHH! I hope it lives up to your expectations too!

zara is there romance?

message 10: by C.G. (new) - rated it 4 stars

C.G. Drews @Zara: Yes. :)

Tandie All these comments...I really want this book. I have some $ left on an Amazon gift card, so happy book day to me!

message 12: by C.G. (new) - rated it 4 stars

C.G. Drews @Tandie: YAY HAPPY DAY!

Olivia-Savannah I really loved this book! It was epic! I thought at times it was a bit long, but I liked how the relationships switched up and moved. Amari was amazing, but the underlying themes & thoughts on oppression, privilege, fear, anger and forgiveness were what got me...

Amber Dean I loved this book, however I have reread the ending multiple times! Can anyone help give me some more explanation? (Thick moment)

message 15: by George (new) - added it

George Jankovic Wow! Got to read it!

katie ☾ I'm two years late for this one, as usual. yES I LOVED THIS BOOK. but I actually hate Saran.