Harry Whitewolf's Reviews > Danny Reluctant

Danny Reluctant by Drew Donaldson

28206267

bookshelves: general-fiction

Coming of age tales don’t come much better than this.

It’s universally relatable, funny, sad, engrossing and extremely well written; especially for a debut.

At the start of this novel, Danny is a shy and unworldly teenager with his nose stuck in On The Road. He knows nothing of girls, drugs, booze or rock ‘n’ roll in the real world, but when rebellious Stan drags him into being lead singer of his band, Danny’s world changes pretty much overnight.

This story captures that moment of youth where suddenly the floodgates are open and the world changes into a cacophony of music, good times and adolescent discoveries -a moment that most of us will have lived through, whether you were in a band yourself, had mates in a band or just suddenly discovered the power of music that can reverberate right through to your soul.

The clever thing about this story is that it will appeal to a teen audience just as much as it will appeal to older readers. If you’re currently going through the kind of tribulations and adventures that Danny’s having, this book will feel like a comforting friend who’s there to share the ride with you. And if you’re long in the tooth, it will make you reminisce about the time you discovered sex, drugs and rock ‘n’ roll: forget school days being the best days of your life, we all know the best days of our lives were when we began to explore the aforementioned.

But this book is far from being all about the music and highs. The subplot of Danny wanting to know his absent father (as well as Danny turning into an adult of his own making; rather than what his peers are perhaps making him into) soon becomes the main plot at hand, if you’re paying attention, where there’s an abundance of sentimental and emotional moments.

Will Stan and Danny’s band make it to the big time? They’re soon tipped to be the next big thing, but the boys’ destructive relationship might just screw the whole thing up (like so many great bands), so who knows. And will Danny ever find his dad? Maybe that’s even more important than the band becoming famous.

There’s a great cast of characters throughout this book, but it’s Stan who has the starring role as the most memorable; the cocky, selfish, up-for-anything lad is one of those true great narcissistic, self-destructive characters of fiction.

A pretty simple story in its premise, elevated by superb writing and plenty of depth under the surface, Danny Reluctant is a rollicking, rock ‘n’ roll tale unlike any other. So roll a fatty boom blatty, put some Stones on the turntable, crank the volume up to 11, and read this great book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Danny Reluctant.

Finished Reading
April 14, 2017 – Shelved
April 14, 2017 – Shelved as: general-fiction

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)

message 1: by Jason (new) - added it

Jason Sound's like this book should come with a sound track

message 2: by Catherine (new) - added it

Catherine Except It Is kindle...And I only do print!!! So, wait I must!! :)

message 3: by Jason (new) - added it

Jason buy it and print it out. :-)

Harry Whitewolf Catherine wrote: "Except It Is kindle...And I only do print!!! So, wait I must!! :)"

'fraid so. :)

Harry Whitewolf Jason wrote: "Sound's like this book should come with a sound track"

Aye - that's true. I'll enquire about the possibility. :)

Rebecca Gransden This review has made me remember some of the titles for songs I wrote shit lyrics for. One was called The Scarlet Dennis and was meant to be a comment on the Cold War. Haha! Featured a two-headed lamb if I remember correctly. I wish I'd've got less pretentious over time :P

Paul E. Morph Sounds good. Added to the ever-increasing TBR list...

Harry Whitewolf Paul wrote: "Sounds good. Added to the ever-increasing TBR list..."

Thanks Paul. It's currently free on Kindle. Check out my blog post for more info.

Paul E. Morph Cool. Thanks for the heads-up!

Harry Whitewolf Rebecca wrote: "This review has made me remember some of the titles for songs I wrote shit lyrics for. One was called The Scarlet Dennis and was meant to be a comment on the Cold War. Haha! Featured a two-headed l..."

Hahaha-what?-haha-?-ha-what?-?-haha...

I wanna read those lyrics!

message 11: by Catherine (last edited Apr 14, 2017 11:09PM) (new) - added it

Catherine Jason wrote: "buy it and print it out. :-)"

Yeah...thanks....but no.... I am a patient sort....sometimes...lol. I can wait. I have plenty of other books to keep me busy, Jason :)