Jade Wright's Reviews > Strange the Dreamer

Strange the Dreamer by Laini Taylor

Jun 02, 2017

In the unusual story of 'Strange the Dreamer' we have two MC's, an orphaned junior librarian called Lazlo Strange and the Muse of Nightmares Godspawn, Sarai. Lazlo has always been fascinated by the long lost city of Weep and has dedicated his years researching it's history - so when the opportunity arises for him to find out what really happened to this place, he has to seize his chance before losing his dream forever.

Fantasy and I are not a good combination. I really struggle to lose myself and leave reality at the door. I don't like far-fetched, whimsical stories. That said, I'm so surprised to tell you that I absolutely ADORED this book. Granted the first 200 pages were excruciatingly slow-paced - but once it picked up speed, I was entirely invested in Lazlo and Sarai's story! There was a mythical element to this book that I really enjoyed... there were God's, Angels, Demons, Ghosts, Moths and Monks. The combination truly was something special. This is nothing short of original.

I was really shocked by the strength of romance in this book considering most fantasy books I have read so far are more so about the magic and less about relationships. It did make the book more enjoyable for me as I do love a good romantic story ;)
There were even VERY minor sexual scenes in this book which was also a nice surprise - I guess when I hear fantasy, I expect it to be the furthest thing from a mature adult novel. The scenes made the book seem like it was meant for a slightly older audience and I didn't feel so pathetic reading something meant for someone aged 10.

Laini Taylor's writing - it is nothing short of majestic... and to be truthful, it was just this that saved this book for me.. because the story IS extremely dreamy and magical and not my sort of thing whatsoever... but guys, her writing.... M.I.N.D.-.B.L.O.W.I.N.G!!! She is an incredible wordsmith. A true fairy-tale master. The world-building for Strange the Dreamer was excellent.

HOWEVER, I did NOT sign up for a new series!!! I hate series because no matter how good my intentions, I NEVER finish them!! Look at Cinder by Marissa Meyer or Assassin's Apprentice by Robin Hobb... both are books I LOVED but I have never gotten around to picking up the sequels. WHY did no one tell me the very last page of Strange the Dreamer by Laini Taylor would end with, 'To Be Continued...' !?!? WHYYYYY.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Strange the Dreamer.

April 14, 2017 – Shelved