Sara's Reviews > Escape

Escape by Carolyn Jessop

Apr 08, 2008

bookshelves: non-fiction, 2008, memoir

This book is intense but completely riveting; I had a hard time putting the book down. The writing in it may not have been the best prose, but it was written in a way that drew me in immediately and kept my attention throughout the whole story. What amazed me most about this book is that it's a true story! I can't even begin to comprehend the life the author led, being married to a 50 year old man at the age of 18 as his fourth wife, having 8 children with him, dealing with he whole FLDS religion, and trying to break out from there with her children and start a new life outside of the compound. The amount and magnitude of problems she faced amazed me, and each chapter gave me a little more insight as to why events happened as they did, providing me with the background for their beliefs and problems with so much of the implementation. I am shocked that such lives are lived in the USA today! I kept thinking, how could this possibly be? How could people act so horrific to each other - especially to another in the name of religion! - within this country? Even worse, there is (or at least was) little recourse for victims of abuse because of the culture and the system in place. I am amazed by the author's willpower and determination to press on to make a better life for herself and her children, even though doing so turned her back on the community she'd grown up in and caused a great deal of stress and turmoil for everyone. I would be very interested to read a book by the author in 10 years, detailing where her life is then and how her children are doing.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Escape.