tENTATIVELY, cONVENIENCE's Reviews > Ecotopia: The Notebooks and Reports of William Weston

Ecotopia by Ernest Callenbach

liked it
bookshelves: sf

Of course, it's fun to read SF novels that prophesize about a future date that we're either at now or have already passed. This utopian novel is set in 1999, published in 1975. SF is full of dystopian novels that're projective critiques of the present tense. This is one of the rarer ones that critiques (what was) the present tense by postulating a utopia (of sorts) that's presumably rooted in the hopes that counterculture had for communes, eg. It's, perhaps, in the company of some of the work of Ursula LeGuin & Joan Slonczewski but I think I like their work more.

On page 115, under a heading of "Workers' Control, Taxes, and Jobs in Ecotopia" it's explained that "the people, seeing the former owners depart, realized that a new era was indeed upon them and began spontaneously taking over farms, factories, and stores. The process was chaotic, but it was not anarchic; it was controlled by the local governments and local courts." Did I say "utopia"? I take that back.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ecotopia.