Sarah Spelbring's Reviews > The Spook's Bestiary: The Guide to Creatures of the Dark

The Spook's Bestiary by Joseph Delaney

liked it

Just as an FYI this book is not technically part of The Last Apprentice series, but a supplementary book. If you're familiar with Terry Pratchett's Discworld Series, this would be like one of the "map" books or Nanny Ogg's Cookbook.

Also important, I am a fan of the TV series, Supernatural.

With all that out of the way...this read a bit like John Winchester's journal. It's a compendium of all the creatures that are kept at bay by a Spook (Hunter/Sam and Dean?) in County. It includes examples of times John Gregory (the Spook who 'authored' this book) encountered said creature, and quotes from his various apprentices.

I found it an interesting take on the creatures originally from mythology, especially the Old Gods which come from many different regions (Greece, Romania, Ireland, etc.), and how they were dealt with. The last chapter included some instance and probable new creatures that had yet to be identified.

Supposedly this series has been turned into a movie called Seventh Son (which I've never heard of, and has poor reviews), so I'm wondering how I missed that. But I'm intrigued enough to see if I can find an actual book from the series to see what the fuss was about.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Spook's Bestiary.

April 13, 2017 – Shelved