Book of Secrets°ღ 's Reviews > The Fifth of July

The Fifth of July by Kelly Simmons

liked it

3.5 Stars → The well-to-do Warner family has been summering on Nantucket for decades - it's tradition, after all - but this year tragedy strikes over the 4th of July holiday. The story is told from the points of view of several characters, including different family members, the housekeeper, and the caretaker, of the imposing, timeworn beach house.

Right away you can feel the undercurrents of dysfunction in this family. It keeps you wondering what tragedy is lying in wait for these troubled people, and who among them could be responsible? They may not be the most likable bunch, but I found all of their stories compelling. Actually we're presented with three mysteries that may or may not be connected, one decades old and two recent.

Overall I enjoyed the writing style, setting, and story (Nantucket Gothic?), though I was disappointed that there were unanswered questions in the end. I felt like two of the three mysteries weren't truly solved - or maybe they were? Anyway, the ending was confusing, but I still feel like THE FIFTH OF JULY was a worthwhile read.

Disclosure: I received a copy of this book from the publisher through NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Fifth of July.

April 13, 2017 – Shelved
Started Reading
July 26, 2018 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-1 of 1 (1 new)

message 1: by Deanna (new)

Deanna Great review!!!