Pop Bop's Reviews > When the Moon Comes

When the Moon Comes by Paul  Harbridge

bookshelves: reviewed

Drawings and Text Partner Beautifully

In the wrong, (that is, heavy), hands a book like this could be twee or precious or tone deaf. Childhood nostalgia is incredibly tough, and poetic nostalgia in a children's book is the toughest of all. Have no fear - our author never comes near to skating on thin ice.

Rather, we get the children's book hat trick - evocative drawings that perfectly complement the text, restrained and sensitive but crisp and descriptive prose, and a general feeling of comfort and calm good will by the end. Wow.

I'm not Canadian, and hockey isn't my second religion, but if you've ever spent any time in the cold, snowy woods on a moonlit night this book will take you back there. Really, on the way home "[o]ur wet pants freeze solid in the cold, and we walk clanking like knights in armor, lances over our shoulders, hoods like helmets around our faces". Get me to a warm, bright campfire right now.

So, there's no reason a children's book can't be romantic and soulful, and this little gem shows you why. A delightful find. (Please note that I received a free advance will-self-destruct-in-x-days Adobe Digital copy of this book without a review requirement, or any influence regarding review content should I choose to post a review. Apart from that I have no connection at all to either the author or the publisher of this book.)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read When the Moon Comes.

Finished Reading