Jackie's Reviews > The Song of the Stork

The Song of the Stork by Stephan Collishaw

bookshelves: arcs

This was such a beautiful read! Once I was fully immersed in the story, it was impossible to put it down!

This is a story about Yael, a Jewish girl who is on the run from the Nazis. She seeks shelter at a secluded house of an old aquaintance. What starts out as a wary and distant relationship between Yael and the mute Aleksei, turns into a sweet love.

But the main focus of the story wasn't on the romance but on the self-development of Yael. She is safe at Aleksei's house for a few years until the Germans come and she has to run again. She goes through a lot of difficult situations, meets new people and has to overcome some incisive obstacles. You couldn't help but FEEL for Yael and simply hope that everything turns out alright for her. Her character development is portrayed beautifully and very realistically.

Personally, I am a fan of WW2 stories, whether it's movies or books so this was a great read for me. It was a good and interesting depiction of the life of Jews on the run from the Nazi regime during WW2. You could truly feel the panic and the angst that they experienced in this book.

The writing was absolutely beautiful and it totally helped create that feeling of investment in the story and really connecting to the main character. It easily made you get lost in the story, too.

This could have been a perfect 5 star read. The only thing that bothered me were the loose ends that we were left with at the end of the book. We don't get to know what happens to one of the characters who plays a big part of the first half of the book! I would have loved to get at least a hint of an explanation and find out what happened to some of the characters that Yael met throughout the book.

Overall, this was still a wonderful read and I am giving this book 4 stars.

*I received an ARC from the publisher via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.*

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Song of the Stork.

April 13, 2017 – Started Reading
April 13, 2017 – Shelved
April 15, 2017 –
71.0% "This is REALLY good"
April 15, 2017 – Shelved as: arcs