AE's Reviews > The Gammage Cup

The Gammage Cup by Carol Kendall

U 50x66

This book really surprised me! I thought it was okay initially but a bit juvenile, and the beginning was a bit slow, but the later parts were actually pretty engaging and interesting.

Pros:
- Muggles and co. are actually all interesting, fun characters.
- I especially love Muggles getting organized and taking charge, and how she handled being the leader.
- The later parts with the more dangerous occurrences really pull you in.
- I loved that the story didn't over-villainize the "bad" characters from the village, and in the end they were still shown to be human (or, well, Minnipins).
- I really liked Mingy, actually. I thought the whole story with him and Spill was really touching.

Cons:
- The romance comes on a bit suddenly, especially for the side couple - I'm not mad about it, but it also wasn't my favorite.
- The mushroom people have nothing to them except to be the true villains of the story.
- A lot of stuff isn't particularly well explained if you think too hard.

Ultimately this felt like your Wheel of Time/Game of Thrones/Lord of the Rings type story, but for little kids. It's pretty fun for what it is, even if it's not the most complex writing.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Gammage Cup.

April 13, 2017 – Shelved
April 13, 2017 – Shelved as: to-read
December 31, 2018 – Started Reading
January 19, 2019 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-1 of 1 (1 new)

Priscilla King I like Ltd. He's a status-obsessed social bully before the crisis, but he snaps out of it, falls into line behind Walter the Earl, and becomes a hero too by the end.