Jennifer's Reviews > The Shadow Wolf

The Shadow Wolf by Bonnie Vanak

Aug 10, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: contemporary, earcs, ebook, fantasy, paranormal, romance
Read from August 10 to 11, 2011

When I picked up THE SHADOW WOLF, I had an idea that it was part of a series, but I wasn't sure. Then I read some, and realized it certainly was, and I constantly felt like I was missing something. Given that this is rather a short novel (the ebook version includes a novella by the same author), I can forgive some of the confusion because there's not a lot of space to develop the world or explain the magic system. But I kept questioning things like 'why would the ability to become invisible be considered a bad thing?' and 'who are these highhanded crazy people who think imprisoning those who are different is even possible?' It certainly seemed easy enough to break out of said prison, after all.

That said, the story is well told. Sometimes the romance bits veer into the purple, but there's plenty of steamy sex. Occasionally I wanted to just knock the main characters over the head and make them talk, because keeping secrets from your mate never ends well. But then there would be no romantic tension, of course.

In both the main novel and the novella, there was a bit of a deus ex machina character, who does things for his own reasons and we never quite understand his motives. But his actions make for happy endings, and those are what romance novels are all about.

I received this as a digital ARC from Netgalley.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Shadow Wolf.