Rick Bylina's Reviews > Penelope and the Birthday Curse

Penelope and the Birthday Curse by Ron D. Voigts

Agatha Christie perfected the locked-room murder. Nancy Drew stumbled into murders that mystified adults. However, PENELOPE AMOUR must solve a murder that confounds the adults in her world before she becomes the next victim. In Ron Voigts' debut novel, we laugh and scratch our heads at the antics of the invitees to Penelope's 13th birthday party in an isolated mansion ruled by her strong-willed mother and eccentric father. Then, Ron takes us to the darker side. After the first murder, a gypsy foretells of two more. We shudder as the killer stalks Penelope, and the action gets too close to our heroine. Sometimes a young girl has to become a strong, levelheaded woman to prevent the murderer from killing her so she can get to the birthday presents she deserves. Though it is a Young Adult novel at heart, there is plenty of mystery and merriment to keep all ages laughing and scratching their heads, trying to figure out, "Who did it?" Five starts out of the gate.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Penelope and the Birthday Curse.

Started Reading