Anno Nomius's Reviews > The Fiery Trial: Abraham Lincoln and American Slavery

The Fiery Trial by Eric Foner

This is one amazing book and should be mandatory reading for all Americans. I loved it. It left me, a total novice on Lincoln, with a powerful image of why Lincoln is considered one of the greatest President, if not the greatest President. This is an intriguing book which delves into Lincoln, what shaped his policies and is an honest look into the Civil War, which almost broke the country apart. The book traces the views of Lincoln and how it progressed over time. Unfortunately he had to pay with his life for his beliefs and I think the sentiments of the north and south back then are probably still in the subconscious of many in this country. There are those amongst us who still hate African Americans and will do whatever it takes to take away their rights, who still think they are inferior in spite of study after study showing otherwise. Lincoln was no exception to such thoughts initially. Great book. I highly recommend reading it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Fiery Trial.

April 12, 2017 – Started Reading
April 12, 2017 – Shelved
April 12, 2017 –
page 20
April 12, 2017 –
page 20
April 18, 2017 –
page 100
22.32% "As I am reading this book and learning, it is amazing to draw the analogy of how a slaves life is controlled to how lives of many in this day and age is controlled. Usually in an argument between morality and profit, profit wins."
April 19, 2017 –
page 160
35.71% "As I read this book, cant help but think if Lincoln had pushed a harder line, perhaps, African Americans would not have to wait another 100 years for civil rights..."
April 20, 2017 –
page 224
50.0% "As I continue with this book, cant help but draw a parallel with the racism back then and now. The treatment of the underrepresented then and now. The parallel between discussion of sending back African Americans to Africa or the Caribbean and how today Mexicans are being sent back to Mexico, Muslim ban, H1B limitation....."
April 24, 2017 –
page 256
April 25, 2017 –
page 320
71.43% "This book has been an eye opener. Lincoln exposed, for what he is, a politician, doing things that would ensure reelection, not necessarily doing what is the right thing to do. Not much has changed since in terms of politicians and their politics. We were taught LCM in math, lowest common denominator, it works in politics too. Make sure you take the path which most of your party members believe in, you will win."
April 26, 2017 –
page 352
78.57% "as I read this book I continue to change my opinion about Lincoln, but one thing that continues to stick is why civil rights did not come with emancipation, the thought of colonization of African Americans.."thank you now that you have met our needs, you are free to go and live in some other place outside America, perhaps the tropics"...disgusting...or "hey maybe we have better use of you in the military perhaps""
April 27, 2017 –
page 384
85.71% "this book continues to present interesting information and has completely changed my understanding of the behind the scenes action around the civil war. What I don't understand is why do we try to simplify things and have these stupid reenactment of the war."
May 1, 2017 – Finished Reading