Gabriel's Reviews > Void Star

Void Star by Zachary Mason

U 50x66

This book is an exceptional achievement. It's beautifully written, visually captivating, emotionally intelligent, and above all it makes you think about common futurist topics in new and insightful ways. Best book on it's subject since Accelerando. Arguably better even. To say it is challenging is not a critique so much as an accolade. In fact I didn't find it particularly challenging, it was just intellectually stimulating in the best way.

I don't understand those who rate a book lowly because it's over their head, or they couldn't find the attention span to get past the first few chapters. Complaining that a novel is too literary, is like complaining that your shower gets you too wet. It seems the popular taste buds have the same evolutionary blind spots in literature as in nutrition.

If you can read at a college level and are interested in exploring futurist topics through story telling with a nutritional value then this is the book for you. It's not overly abstract, it's totally comprehensible. The prose is written beautifully, and the imagery is consistently cinematic. The characters are complex. My only criticism is that for a book contemplating the boundaries of experience, the archetypes are rather traditional. But that's a small complaint. I've been craving a satisfying book on these topics for awhile and this totally hit the spot.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Void Star.

Finished Reading