Christina Torretta's Reviews > Defy the Stars

Defy the Stars by Claudia Gray

Apr 21, 2017

Read from April 12 to 18, 2017 , read count: 1

This cover and synopsis are a winning combination for marketing! The cover alone got me interested but Sci Fi and I have a strange relationship so I was a little hesitant. What I find so interesting is that this seems to be the opposite of The Terminator, sort of. Which of course, is amazing.

Noemi is a fighter and will do anything, even sacrifice herself, for her people. What makes Noemi stand out from your average heroine, is the concept of choosing an obvious enemy to be her wing man. It isn't easy for the two of them to work together, they each have to make sacrifices, but those sacrifices are necessary for the survival of truth.

The concept alone is super fun. Even if you're not big into Sci Fi, or hesitatingly putting your toe into the baby pool, this is extraordinarily different and worth the risk. The fact that Earth is now full of AI that wants to kill us is hilarious on its own but then we meet Adam and Adam is more than special.

These two together are a recipe for disaster! They figure out how to fling themselves from one problem to the next, almost without missing a beat. All of these disasters help the two of them see who the other one really is, so while they may prefer to be safe and sound, it is helpful to their relationship. There was only one moment where I felt the need to be really skittish. I was ready to fast forward through the audio and move right past that part, but fortunately I, and other readers, were spared. I cannot say more, just trust me when I say I am not ready for that!

The fight that these two have to go into is noble. The plot itself was pretty fun. There were moments where it slowed down quite a bit and I had to keep myself on task but this type of Sci Fi is still pretty new to me, so I blame myself, not the author. I am sure there are many that will absolutely love this. As a matter of fact, I was lucky enough to receive this from the publisher and then I purchased it on Audible anyway because I think my hubby will enjoy it even more than I did. Although he isn't into YA, so that may be a little bit of a put off, but I think it is worth the shot.

In short: Fun, playful, albeit dangerous plot. A little slow in spots but the characters make up for that.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Defy the Stars.

04/12 marked as: currently-reading