Dylan's Reviews > The Portable Nietzsche

The Portable Nietzsche by Friedrich Nietzsche

Recommended to Dylan by: Brent

my main observation: Nietzsche's philosophy is extremely difficult to encapsulate. i definitely know what people mean now when they say he has no system, although i saw ever-so-many teasing hints at one!

other thoughts:
*eternal recurrence?! what's up with that?

*my reservations about his antipathy toward "equality" and his embrace of hierarchy were never completely resolved, but, based on Zarathustra, i'm relatively sure that they are primarily intended as motivational devices with benevolent intent. i have an especially hard time sympathizing with his fawning admiration of the ancient Greeks, which is at odds with his equally strong dislike of "convictions". this utopian anti-egalitarian current rubs me the wrong way but doesn't completely turn me off. i'll reserve judgment for the moment.

*i found the Antichrist to be a relatively accessible critique of Christianity that is far more interesting than Dawkinsian (apologies) arguments. culture is just more interesting than science.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Portable Nietzsche.

April 7, 2008 – Shelved
November 11, 2008 –
page 447
November 12, 2008 –
page 622
89.88% "skipped Twilight because i read it at the beginning."
Started Reading
November 16, 2008 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-1 of 1 (1 new)

message 1: by Matthew (new)

Matthew Friedrich was a talented humorist at best.