Jessica's Reviews > Burntown

Burntown by Jennifer  McMahon

bookshelves: cjsreads

Witnessing his mother's murder by a man in a chicken mask. Talk about quite the opening to a book! Miles grows up to marry Lily and have two kids, Eva and Errol. Eva is his little helper in the workshop as he begins to assemble one of Thomas Edison's blueprints (stolen by his father from his laboratory). This machine would allow him to talk to the dead. On the night of a huge storm, it comes to life on its own with a grim message, Danger. The man has caught up to Miles and his family.

Talk about quite the opening to Jennifer McMahon's new book, Burntown. This all happens within the first 30 or so pages! It had me hooked from the beginning and I couldn't put it down! It's so hard to keep talking about this book without giving away major plot points or spoilers. So I'll leave it at the intro and that Eva ends up changing her name to Necco (her favorite candy growing up) and moves far away. Years later, she finds that her past is catching up with her and she must face deep buried secrets in a small town.

I have yet to read McMahon's other books, but now I have to! I love her style of writing and how her story got going right away. It kept my attention and didn't quit. The characters were well-developed and you could feel what they were feeling. The whole invention stolen from Edison was very intriguing! I loved everything about this one.

I give this 5/5 stars!

Thanks to Doubleday Books for an advanced copy of this book in exchange for my honest review.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Burntown.

April 12, 2017 – Started Reading
April 12, 2017 – Shelved
April 12, 2017 –
page 100
April 13, 2017 –
page 200
April 15, 2017 – Finished Reading
April 16, 2017 – Shelved as: cjsreads

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

Essi | morrisongrl You have to read Winter People! One of my favourites,like ever. And definitely best I've read from her.

Jessica Essi wrote: "You have to read Winter People! One of my favourites,like ever. And definitely best I've read from her."

I've heard nothing but great things for Winter People! I do have it, so I'll to try and read it this month!